Advice about this potential setup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ampsnohms

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking at getting the Spike Solo when it comes out, which requires a NEMA 14-30 connection. I have a 30A 4-prong dryer outlet. I live in an apartment, and plan on moving within the next few years, and don't want to alter my breaker. I've come up with a solution to include inline GFCI and keep it portable, but would like some input. Also going to hire an electrician for a real consultation but figured if this was stupid/impossible somebody here might be able to tell me.

Use this to go from 4-prong dry outlet: https://www.amazon.com/Parkworld-88...214MNHKP8RF&psc=1&refRID=JKF4FKTWQ214MNHKP8RF

Which would connect to this: 30 Amp Inline GFCI

And then would use the first adapter from amazon to connect to the solo.

I'm no electrician, but it seems to me this would allow me to have in-line GFCI, keep it portable, not require any rewiring, and be safe.

Won't work. That GFCI cord doesn't have a neutral, so at a minimum, you will lose the ability to control a pump from the control panel. Depending on how the controller is wired internally, there may be other components that either won't work, or could even fail.

Make up your own portable GFCI using a spa panel w/ GFCI breaker. You can wire that with 4-wires in and out.

Brew on :mug:

Back