Adverse Reaction to Homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewNYC

Reaction score
Something is amiss with my brewing lately. I am experiencing a reaction to some of my beers, involving a numb tounge, sore throat, and sometimes stomach pain and asthma-like symptoms. I had this happen with an infected batch once, but I just attributed it to the acidic nature of that super-citrusy brew causing a lot of heartburn.

Has anyone experienced these types of symptoms before from home brew? I have never shown any signs of being allergic to anything in beer, but this has happened to my last 2 batches - a lager, and a Belgian Quad. Pretty disheartening to dump a tasty batch due to an ugly reaction, and a little scary!!

Thanks!

Something is amiss with my brewing lately. I am experiencing a reaction to some of my beers, involving a numb tounge, sore throat, and sometimes stomach pain and asthma-like symptoms. I had this happen with an infected batch once, but I just attributed it to the acidic nature of that super-citrusy brew causing a lot of heartburn.

Has anyone experienced these types of symptoms before from home brew? I have never shown any signs of being allergic to anything in beer, but this has happened to my last 2 batches - a lager, and a Belgian Quad. Pretty disheartening to dump a tasty batch due to an ugly reaction, and a little scary!!

Thanks!

I would see a Dr. There shouldn't be anything different in homebrew that is causing this. Maybe something is setting in and you're relating it to the homebrew since those were the last beers you have had.

seeing a doctor may be a good idea, always good advice.

Pretty sure it’s related to the homebrew, though, since the reaction consistently happens immediately after taking a sip, and disappears the following day. I know that there are several things in beer that can induce allergic reactions, but I find it odd that I haven’t had these before (I have been home-brewing for about a year), and drinking all sorts of beer for the last 20 years or so..

Allergies are funny that way. Wasn't giving you a problem, but now it is. Overall health can effect how you react as well. Any additional additives you are using? Finings? Sulfites?

Allergies are funny that way. Wasn't giving you a problem, but now it is. Overall health can effect how you react as well. Any additional additives you are using? Finings? Sulfites?
Hmm, I have started using wyeast yeast nutrient lately. One would think it would not be so popular if it were a possible allergen.

I have an illogical suspicion that it has something to do with the infected batch I got a few months ago. My reaction to that batch was HUGE (immediate numb tounge and a strong stomach ache from a teaspoon-size sample). I thoroughly cleaned my equipment, though, and my next two batches were not infected (taste fine, relitivly high FG), yet I am experiencing similar, though less drastic, effects from these as well. This suspicion doesn’t make sense, though - I don’t think you can have batches “a little bit infected” by residue or whatnot- a batch is either infected or it isn’t.

I react to sulfites (joint pain), so I have to avoid those. That's one of the reasons I home brew.

Others have reported reactions to yeast. I read one account (on HBT) where filtering the finished beer eliminated the yeast reaction problem.

Hmm, there is a thought - I usually cold-crash to get rid of yeast, but I have started adding some yeast to my bottles for priming. I did not do this to the infected batch, but maybe the wild yeast had the same effect.

Always thought adverse reactions to yeast were limited to a bloated stomach. Can they also cause symptoms similar to a food allergy?

Nope, sad to say I drank a blue moon once, and it did nothing for me (you can interpret that any way you want).

I had a coworker and fellow beer aficionado suddenly develop an allergy to beer. Tragic. I keep thinking how screwed I'd be if it happened to me.

Good luck! Hope it turns into something benign!

Cheers!

I don’t think you can have batches “a little bit infected”
Why not? Bad infections might show up right away. But you may have a normally fermented beer, with no signs of infection after a month, tastes as if it might be "a little bit infected" after a couple of months, and taste really bad a bit after that. That bad nasty will grow over time and may do so very slowly.

Have you had anyone else try it? That could tell you if it’s something bad in the beer or just something about it that you are reacting to. I’m no microbiologist but I know yeast makes “stuff” and different yeast strains make different stuff. Maybe you’re having a reaction to a specific byproduct?

Have you had anyone else try it? That could tell you if it’s something bad in the beer or just something about it that you are reacting to. I’m no microbiologist but I know yeast makes “stuff” and different yeast strains make different stuff. Maybe you’re having a reaction to a specific byproduct?

LOL! Yes. I've been brewing since 1994. He's the first one I ever knew was allergic to it.

I get a weird reaction to cheap rums and some vodkas..difficulty breathing (mild) and sudden hot flashes. It goes away after about 10 minutes, then I'm fine to continue drinking whatever it is. Didn't happen with some truly excellent vodka one of my former drivers brought me from duty-free in Ukraine...that stuff was smooooooooth.

Dude, seriously, go see a doctor. All of us half drunk home brewers can't be trusted to tell you what's up. Unless you listen to me, take a couple Benadryl and RDWHAHB. Jk. Hope you figure out what it is

LOL! Yes. I've been brewing since 1994. He's the first one I ever knew was allergic to it.

I was actually responding to the OP but I guess your example is evidence that different people react differently, not necessarily something “wrong” with the beer. Has the OP seen a doc yet? This is serious stuff, it’s affecting his ability to drink home brew, not something to take lightly!

I was actually responding to the OP but I guess your example is evidence that different people react differently, not necessarily something “wrong” with the beer. Has the OP seen a doc yet? This is serious stuff, it’s affecting his ability to drink home brew, not something to take lightly!

I don't know, I assume he did. For my coworker, this was about 10 years ago. He was 1 of the 4 guys I trained for over 2 years to take over for me when I retired (June 2010). He never had homebrew when this happened. He had no trouble drinking commercial brew though.

There are too many possible variables to attempt to figure out what is going wrong.
But....
I can save you the expense/time of seeing a doctor, enduring a bunch of tests and then going back to review the inconclusive results.
Just stop drinking whatever it is that makes you feel ill.
Think you have an infection in your home brew equipment? Throw out anything plastic, dump out any yeast you have saved, start fresh.

So, an interesting update. I went to a doctor and had him test me for virtually everything in beer (yeast, hops, grains). The tests were all negative, so those are not the culprits.

I also tried a commercially brewed “funky” farmhouse ale last night, and had the same adverse reaction (asthma-like) I waited for the reaction to die down, then followed up with a boring cream ale - no reaction to that!

Good news is I can still drink beer. Bad news is that I must have some wild yeast in my brewing system, and I’m quite allergic to it. I am really surprised that whatever is in my system hasn’t been noticeable. I haven’t gotten any “gushers”, no visible infections in my fermenter, my FG is coming in on target, my beers taste good after 3-4 months of aging, and the PH of my finished beer is always above 4.5. I suppose it must be possible to have “minor” beer infections, rather than the drastic ones people usually worry about? This is contrary to my previous belief that all lacto cultures are stronger yeast strains and would eventually dominate your brews..

There seems to be a lot we still don’t understand about beer!

Looking on the bright side, you are a walking talking wild yeast detector! Once you've eradicated it from your brewing kit you'll never suffer an infection again because you'll detect it long before it takes hold in your brews.

... (yeast, hops, grains). The tests were all negative, so those are not the culprits...tried a commercially brewed “funky” farmhouse ale last night, and had the same adverse reaction (asthma-like) I waited for the reaction to die down, then followed up with a boring cream ale - no reaction to that!... I must have some wild yeast in my brewing system, and I’m quite allergic to it.

Have you ruled out additives (sulfites)?

If you are adding campden to your water, how much are you using? If you think you may be reacting to sulfites then brew a batch without them to see what happens.

I am randomly allergic to certain commercial beer in that I get very stuffed up in the matter or minutes and have sneezing fits. I almost exclusively drink pale ale, ipa or double IPA so it makes no sense other than a subset of hop varaties hit me the wrong way or variety of yeast.

the PH of my finished beer is always above 4.5.

Just wanted to comment on this one, finished beer pH above 4.5 isn't ideal. Less stable, both in terms of flavor longevity, and microbiologically. I typically look for 4-4.3 finished pH (degassed first).

As far as your issue, I was going to ask if you'd had it in commercial beers, but it seems you have. It's possible that one of the various esters and phenols produced by yeast/bacteria (especially the wild stuff) is causing an allergic reaction. I wouldn't necessarily attribute it to "wild yeast" explicitly until it's actually determined what it is (if you ever figure it out which may not be likely).

Working in the medical field I have to warn you that each of these "reactions" that you are having can become worse and eventually be life threatening. Sad to say but if you continue to have reactions, you have to stop doing whatever is causing it. If you are going to continue to drink homebrew I would at least filter and possible pasteurize. This is no joke that you can drink some beer and not others, you never know what is in it and how you will react. Your allergy could become worse and worse and you never know when the switch is going to flip and your body says F*** this, its time to shut her down. Better get you an epipen if you continue to drink as well. When at work and I clean equipment, I use gloves 100% of the time. I'm not allergic to bleach and have never had an allergic reaction, but if I start to develop a reaction and then go from 0 to 100, I've seen what allergic reactions do when bleach is involved. Skin falling off. In your case it would be an internal reaction, systemic, so plummeting blood pressure and closing throat. Its great that you are not allergic to the main ingredients, but if its a wild yeast or one of the compounds put off by the yeast, will it be filtered out? And like I mentioned you never know when it will be in it. Sorry to be a downer but I think some of the posts were a little light hearted, seeing a Dr. was smart. Just giving a worst case scenario

Some time back I brewed a Northern brown ale recipe I have used for years - a very familiar brew. Somewhere during brew day something went haywire, and my OG was very low - My efficiency was way off or whatever, but I just grabbed some LM we had on the shelf and added some in to bump up the gravity. Nothing unheard of. BUT, I failed to bring it back up to a boil to sterilize. When that brew was done and kegged and carbed, it tasted a bit off. It had an unfamiliar bitter aftertaste, and a thinness. It also gave me a mild headache and a very unpleasant case of stomach distress from a single 20oz glass. Same with my wife. We gave it another couple weeks in the keg and tried it again - Same result, and down the drain. Figured I had invited something foul by not bringing the wort back to a boil when i added the LM. Thing is, I made a batch of hard cider in the same bucket a little while after. I am scrupulous with my cleaning, yet the cider( Another familiar brew I have made dozens of times) Did EXACTLY the same thing to us. Again we tried to age it out a bit, but still headache, cramps, and that slightly bitter taste. Brew down the drain, bucket to the dumpster. Never happened again, and both recipes are on tap right as we speak. Point is, I think there are a number of little infections that can get into the party, and we are gonna react to them in different ways. And once rooted in, they can be tough to run off especially in plastic.

I also tried a commercially brewed “funky” farmhouse ale last night, and had the same adverse reaction (asthma-like) I waited for the reaction to die down, then followed up with a boring cream ale - no reaction to that!

Good news is I can still drink beer. Bad news is that I must have some wild yeast in my brewing system, and I’m quite allergic to it. I am really surprised that whatever is in my system hasn’t been noticeable. I haven’t gotten any “gushers”, no visible infections in my fermenter, my FG is coming in on target, my beers taste good after 3-4 months of aging, and the PH of my finished beer is always above 4.5. I suppose it must be possible to have “minor” beer infections, rather than the drastic ones people usually worry about? This is contrary to my previous belief that all lacto cultures are stronger yeast strains and would eventually dominate your brews.

As has been mentioned - finishing pH>4.5 is not ideal, and will make your beer more friendly to bad guys.

And on a point of order, by definition a "lacto culture" is Lactobacillus, and so is a bacterium. But yeah, you can have a real soup of microorganisms that don't always dominate - either because they die out at a certain ABV or because their favourite food runs out. People have tracked the "zoo" in lambics and seen 4-5 different species dominate over the course of a year or two, whilst others are only ever minor presences. Also some bugs are more obvious that others - Brettanomyces claussenii gives a relatively mild "funk" compared to Brettanomyces bruxellensis for instance.

At the moment you don't know whether it's a fungus or bacterium causing the problems. At this point I would share some of whiskeyjack's caution, if this thing can start out of nowhere, then it can also get worse. So I wouldn't go swilling down anything of potential concern - take a mouthful and swoosh it round, then spit it out. At least then you may only have a reaction to a small amount in your mouth, rather than a pint in your innards. Might be a good idea to have 3" of something like garden hose around, at least then you can keep your airway clear in an emergency.

But - as a scientist I am intrigued. One place to start would be to take a known "problem" beer like the wild beer and boil it (outside or at a friend's house), to see if it still causes a problem. Likewise filtering it.

You could perhaps make a gallon of extract wort in a friend's kitchen, with just some bittering hops or alpha extract in (you're not going for taste here, just trying to simulate beer chemistry). Split into plastic bottles and play with the yeast catalogues - pure wild yeasts, a yeast/bacteria mix, pure bacteria, even bread yeast as an approximation to wild Saccharomyces and so on.

But I'd understand if you just didn't want to risk any further exposure.

And in the circumstances I'd say replacing all of your plastics and thoroughly sanitising/sterilising your metalwork is probably the most prudent course if you want to continue homebrewing.

@tjmac5071 It's possible your symptoms are a reaction to sulphites, it's something to bear in mind - have you ever had similar reactions from wine or raisins?

Latest posts

Back