Adventures in homebrewing mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Supposedly it hovers around that price often. Going down to $89 sometimes. It's Chinese made if that makes any difference.

Hm ok guess it's not as good as I figured of a deal.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

I have one. I've had it for 6mo. It mills my grains. What more do you want to know?

Agreed... Very easy to gap and does a good job milling my grains...

Compared to the monster and other mills how does it compare? Worth it it spend the money for a better one?

I've been using one for a year plus, and have nothing but good experience with it. It's almost identical to the Barley Crusher, but it has ball bearings for the rollers rather than brass bushings. Seems to work just fine thy about 30 batches or so.

Hm I'm really interested in getting a mill and buying big bags of grain... Just don't want to spend $150+ on a mill... Yet I don't want to mess with those Victorian mills either. I might drop on this after all. The wife might not like it though ha

Compared to the monster and other mills how does it compare? Worth it it spend the money for a better one?

I have no personal experience with similar models from MM and BC, but I'm going to hazard a guess that these and the AIH model have similar features. I've certainly found the AIH model easy to setup (I use a narrow gap for BIAB) and easy to use. I would buy the more expensive mills if you want the warranty associated with them. If you can live without that assurance, the AIH mill seems like a good bargain.

I have no personal experience with similar models from MM and BC, but I'm going to hazard a guess that these and the AIH model have similar features. I've certainly found the AIH model easy to setup (I use a narrow gap for BIAB) and easy to use. I would buy the more expensive mills if you want the warranty associated with them. If you can live without that assurance, the AIH mill seems like a good bargain.

Thanks. Is the shipped width pretty standard? Wondering if I then need to get a gap checker too.

I've had one for almost a year and really like it. It comes with a long handle if you don't have a drill to hand crank it. I would assume all ship with similar gaps but a 5 dollar feeler gauge will ensure that. Ground 2-300 pounds so far and still looks brand new.

Just snagged it. 50lb of 2 row is $50 here at the local shop so $1 per pound vs $1.49 per pound if not in bulk. Figure 200 lb in I'll make my money back on the mill ha... time to buy some buckets and a feeler.

I bought one about 2 years ago. The recent ad says "improved", but not sure what they claim to have improved.
Its been a good mill, but the rollers are just about to be too worn to get a quality crush after about 200lbs of grain.
I sort of wish I would have bought a better one to begin with, but it has served me well.

I bought one about 2 years ago. The recent ad says "improved", but not sure what they claim to have improved.
Its been a good mill, but the rollers are just about to be too worn to get a quality crush after about 200lbs of grain.
I sort of wish I would have bought a better one to begin with, but it has served me well.

Wonder if you can replace the rollers when worn? I've seen just rollers for a decent price places.

The warranty is a year. Monster Mill's warranty seems undefined but they seem like they just want happy customers. Then again MM is quite expensive and I assume they're worth it.

The Cereal Killer looks good but I also wonder if you can replace the rollers.

I have one of these as well. My experience when I first got it, I thought it was a complete piece of crap! So I took it all apart, took my grinder and had to round the end of the rollers off just a bit to keep them from binding up on the roller chassis. You could see where it would rub and stop the crush after just a minute, then you were dumping the hopper, messing with the roller to get it working free again. After I smoothed the roller ends off just a bit, works like a champ. Mine runs right around .039 and I've hardly had any issue with it after a 300+ lbs of grain.

Thanks. Is the shipped width pretty standard? Wondering if I then need to get a gap checker too.

I don't know. I gapped mine with a credit card, not a calibrated feeler gauage. I should probably buy one. There are markings on the adjustment knob, but again I can't say if it is accurate.

I have one of these as well. My experience when I first got it, I thought it was a complete piece of crap! So I took it all apart, took my grinder and had to round the end of the rollers off just a bit to keep them from binding up on the roller chassis. You could see where it would rub and stop the crush after just a minute, then you were dumping the hopper, messing with the roller to get it working free again. After I smoothed the roller ends off just a bit, works like a champ. Mine runs right around .039 and I've hardly had any issue with it after a 300+ lbs of grain.

Did you buy the version they are saying is new and improved? How long ago did you get it?

Back