Advantages of in-Kettle Element over Induction Burner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epos7

Reaction score
Apologies if this has already been discussed, I have been researching over the last few days and haven't seen this mentioned anywhere.

I'm in the process of buying my first brewing vessel - a kettle - I'll start with BIAB and may or may not move to a three vessel system. I'll likely start out with a propane burner, but will want to move to electric at some point in the future. If I go electric, it seems I have two choices - an induction burner, or a ULWD element installed in the kettle. As I would need an appropriate port in the kettle for a ULWD element, this is something I need to figure out now.

First question: what does ULWD stand for, and is this the most common way to refer to in-kettle elements?

Second question: What are the pros/cons of a ULWD element over an induction burner, assuming both were 240v?

From what I can tell, the ULWD element is a greater risk to burn the wort if I have to add heat during mash. It could also burn the bag when doing BIAB, and would get in the way of stirring with a mash paddle.

It seems like the induction burner is a much more elegant solution, but ULWD elements are all the rage, so I must be missing something. Induction burners can also be controlled via hardware/software if set up correctly, can be used for other purposes, and while they are more expensive than a ULWD element, are probably about the same total cost once you factor in the extra port for the ULWD element, plus the element housing.

Thanks!

Lots to digest here but I'll do my best to get the ball rolling.
1. ULWD = Ultra Low Watt Density, basically the lower watt density the more surface area to disappate the heat and less chance of scorching.
PRO ULWD Submerged Element: faster heating times due to higher wattage and 100% of the element's power going tdirectly to the water/wort.
CON ULWD Submerged Element: higher cost due to needing a specific control panel. IMO more difficult to clean.
PRO Induction: Cost, only need a $200 Avantco ic3500 and a pot that is induction ready.
CON Induction: Slower ramp times and limited to 5 gallon batches, some people can get 10 gallons going but they are few and far between.

I've had both and I have to say I really like the submerged element setup, but the induction was very easy to setup and cleanup and in all honesty I think the overall time is about the same from setup to done cleaning up, if not within 10 minutes.

Ah so the ULWD setup is actually providing more heat than the induction units are capable. That makes sense, and I can now see the appeal.

Thanks!

I've been eyeballing the whole induction thing since seeing a late night infomercial for an induction plate. When I saw that, I thought to myself, hey that might work for EBIAB. Did a bunch of research and realized the infomercial induction plate was way to wimpy for our needs but have settled on the Avantco IC3500. At $169, not a bad price either. I have a Concord 12.5 gallon kettle that failed the magnet test for induction, bummer. So what kettles do work with induction?

I've been eyeballing the whole induction thing since seeing a late night infomercial for an induction plate. When I saw that, I thought to myself, hey that might work for EBIAB. Did a bunch of research and realized the infomercial induction plate was way to wimpy for our needs but have settled on the Avantco IC3500. At $169, not a bad price either. I have a Concord 12.5 gallon kettle that failed the magnet test for induction, bummer. So what kettles do work with induction?

I'm fairly certain that anything with a tri-clad base (stainless/aluminum/stainless) should work. I have been looking at the same unit as you if I get into electric brewing. Bru Gear kettles and Spike Brewing kettles are both induction capable.

Correct all triclad are induction ready, you can add SSBrewTech to the list too, thats what I have. Non triclad can work and the magnet test isn't 100%. I know a couple of guys have a bayou classic that they use on induction.

another induction con, a true induction boil kettle is much more expensive then the same size kettle used for an element

True, but the extra $100 that I spent on my SSBrewTech vs my control panel balances the cost pretty well.

I use the IC3500 with a 16 gal Bayou Classic . I'm really happy with it so far (50 ish brews)
I have the brew kettle insulated and use a upside down stainless steel bowl with a 5 inch hole cut in the bottom of it as a lid. I usually boil for 90 min and haven't had any DMS issues. One lesson I learned the hard way is the wort has to be stirred when you turn it on or it will scorch to the bottom bad
The kettle kinda looks like R2D2

Correct all triclad are induction ready, you can add SSBrewTech to the list too, thats what I have. Non triclad can work and the magnet test isn't 100%. I know a couple of guys have a bayou classic that they use on induction.

True, but the extra $100 that I spent on my SSBrewTech vs my control panel balances the cost pretty well.

yes that is the downfall of my system but I built my own to save a few

Back