Adjustments for full boils with hopped extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blokeyhighlander

Reaction score
I was in a pinch and had to purchase a kit (5 gallon batch) from the local shop. The directions for the kit have a 30 minute partial boil with:

3.3 lbs Muntons hopped amber LME
2 lbs Briess Sparkling Amber
1 oz hops (Cascade pellets, I'm assuming...)

The partial boil calls for 1.5 gallons of water to boil, plus the above ingredients.

My question is this - If I want to maintain the IBUs from the original recipe, what hop adjustments will I need to make on the Cascade pellets if I'm doing a full boil?

I don't know if there is higher utilization when doing full boils with hopped extract. Also, when I punch this recipe in to BeerCalculus, I have a much lower starting gravity than the 1.050 - 1.055 range that this kit states.

Anyone have any insight?

You are right, a full boil will utilize more hops than a partial boil. It's been a while since I've done IBUs by hand, but if you plug this into the trial version of beersmith, you'll have your answer.

if you don't actually know which hops they are, you are not able to do this calculation. I say just use them and RDWHAHB! I'm 100% positive adding more hops will make you happier.

Pre-hoped extracts should NEVER be boiled. It changes the hop profile brewed into it by the maltster. That's why I use plain DME in the boil for hop additions when adding some pre-hoped LME. I add the pre hoped stuff at flame out,cover & steep for 10-15 minutes.

Back