Adjusting Mash and Sparge water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToastedPenguin

Reaction score
If you are adjusting your mash water using something like the bru'n water spreadsheet and diluting your mash water 50/50 with de-chlorinated tap & distilled and adding back what minerals you need in order to reach a specific water profile for your mash do you need to do the same thing for the sparge water or is it really just the ph that needs to be adjusted?

Thanks
David

You do all that for the mash. For the sparge water, I need to acidify mine as it is highly alkaline but you may be fine with your water.

My tap water has a pH of 7.8 so it sounds like I need to acidify mine just like you need to so I can have a pH of 5.7 for the sparge. Based on what you are saying I probably shouldn't dilute my sparge water with distilled water, just use 100% de-chlorinated tap, adjust the pH by adding acid and that is it?

BTW I was born in Sault Ste Marie MI on an AFB that doesn't exist anymore so I am a relocated yooper....

Back