Adjusting hop quantities

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElVirolo

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I seem to have problems when adapting a recipe I found on the Internet to my own hops. In a nutshell, my issue concerns alpha acids: what should I do when my hops' AA's a different from those that the recipe uses?

What I've been doing so far was scaling bittering hops' quantities as such: recipe alpha * recipe quantity = my alpha * my quantity. Is this the right way to proceed? Should I be using IBU formulas instead?

From what I've read, I don't need to be doing that for "15 minutes" aroma hops, as this process depends on oils rather than AA's. I usually just use the quantity of hops specified in the recipe. Is that correct?

Many thanks,

EV.

The way you're doing it is fine. I adjust for any hop addition during the boil but use the same amounts as the recipe for flameout and dry hops.

I do - sometimes - use BS (the desktop version). I tried doing what you said but it seems the software does change the AA percentage, but doesn't change the amount of hops accordingly. Am I doing something wrong?

As far as I can tell, Beersmith won't change the quantity. You have to do it yourself and just match ibus.

Brilliant! Seems to work on the desktop version too. What I did was manually change the bittering hop amount to reach the desired number of IBU's, but your solution is even better!

That tool will change every hop quantity in the recipe. So if you have a recipe that uses three hop varieties but only one of the hop varieties is different in AA% than what is in the recipe and you use that tool, it will scale all of them to match the desired IBUs and not just the one that has a different AA%. Make sense? I guess it depends on how picky you want to be because it probably won't make a hug difference in the final product unless the AA%s are very different. I'm kind of picky that way.

Makes sense. I guess if you just want to get a specific ibu from a 60 minute addition it would be useful. Of course it would also highlight laziness and not just wanting to play around with the number manually.

Back