Adjusting an Amber Ale recipe, need advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockout

Reaction score
Hi all... we're trying to get rid of extra ingredients lying around, and it happens that for some reason we have 6 lbs of Amber DME. I found a sort of basic Amber Ale recipe online:

1/2 lb crystal malt
6lbs amber DME
1oz Northern Brewers pellets 7.4 aa (boiling)
1.5 oz Cascade plugs 6.5 aa (finish and dry hop)

and with some hop substitutions I've got everything I need. However, the recipe is for 4.5 gallons of beer, and I figure, why make 4.5 when I have the equipment for making 5 gallons? Of course, I don't want to water down the beer, so I have to make use of my other DME's I have. How much extra-light DME would you add to make this a 5-gallon recipe? Or should I steep extra crystal malt, which I also have? Or both? I don't mind a beer with a little extra body and/or alcohol. Final gravity of that recipe was 1.048. I have BeerSmith so I can figure out what my final will be depending what I add.

I also enjoy my hops, so if I have more hops available (I have Cascade, Challenger, Crystal, Galena, Hallertau, and UK Phoenix) would you add any of these for aroma/bittering to an amber? I'm already using the Challenger as a sub for the Northern Brewer in the recipe.

Thanks in advance, all opinions are welcome, since I'm basically making a mystery brew!

06B. American Pale Ales, American Amber Ale
Color

6.00 Amber Dry Malt Extract
0.50 American Crystal 40L

pint-11.png

Stats
OG 1.057
FG 1.014
IBU 24
ABV 5.5 %
SRM 11

Specifics
Boil Volume 5 gallons
Batch Size 5 gallons
Yeast 75% AA

(Used the tastybrew.com calculator)

I should have specified, I have Crystal 10L and 20L, but no 40L lying around. Which one would you use, and how much? I have to admit I don't really know why I would use one over the other in one recipe to the next - I've just been following recipes pretty much to the letter for my entire 1 1/2 year brewing career.

Also, I meant to mention, I'm shooting for a nice red color on this one. Haven't really brewed anything red yet.

Well, that color is from 40L, so I would probably go with the 20L. A half pound should be enough for the color.

Thanks. I was actually thinking of adding a pound of 20L to get the gravity up a little higher; that wouldn't ruin anything would it?

That said, got any advice on adding more hops?

Back