Adjusting a cerveza kit to a steam beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Cerveza kit has been treated like a steam beer with appropriate yeast and temps, now at 10 days in primary. Snuck a taste and it could really use livening up - makes sense seeing as the style calls for 20+IBU which my cerveza will not have and some hoppy flavour which it definitely does not have.

So I was thinking of a hop tea addition of 18g Nelson Sauvin and 35g Motueka steeped 20min at 170 Fahrenheit in a minimal amount of water and dry hop with 10g of each at 14 days and let it dry hop for a week.

How does that sound for adding some much needed flavour and aroma to this brew along with a little bitterness?

Why are you drinking 10 day old beer? A cerveza is what you brewed, and what you're gonna get. You can dump a bunch of hops in it but I doubt anyone will recommend it. It sounds like you wanted an IPA. Why not follow through with the beer as instructed and follow up with a hoppy beer? Summer will be here soon enough, and you'll have a great lighter beer ready to go. It may end up tasting a lot more flavorful than you had hoped.

Why are you drinking 10 day old beer?
Hydrometer sample

Why not follow through with the beer as instructed and follow up with a hoppy beer?
As I understand it I have missed the flavour profile considerably by fermenting at 18 degrees celsius and have not got the crispness and cleanness it would have at lager temperatures, more ale characteristics. The steam beer style calls for 20-40 IBUs of bitterness as well as some hop flavour. I know I won't get the bitterness really in a hop tea with no sugar, but the flavour and aroma won't be amiss.

There is a certain something extra I am forbidden from talking about by this forum's rules I added to this ferment and it is adding a 2d creaminess that sticks out against the otherwise subtle beer. It doesn't make the flavour profile more creamy it simply adds a single note of creaminess that is completely separate from the comparatively watery taste of the beer. I am hoping some hop flavour will help - at the moment it's a very prominant off taste.

Summer will be here soon enough, and you'll have a great lighter beer ready to go. It may end up tasting a lot more flavorful than you had hoped.
The New Zealand summer has already begun, it's hot as hell and a nice lightly hopped light beer of some kind sounds pretty exciting to me.

Any recommendations on if I've gone too far on the hops or not so much? I have never hopped anything before, but this needs something to round out it's taste some more. The taste would be much less noticable in a wheat beer or perhaps an oatmeal stout I imagine.

Latest posts

Back