Adjusted gravity at 140 degrees?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardrain

Reaction score
Probably could have used a beer to settle me down and ended up taking a reading at 140 degrees after the mash instead of just letting it cool.

I can't seem to find any chart that adjusts past 120 degrees; does the effect continue at a linear rate or are there other things I need to consider when adjusting? A formula maybe?

Thanks.

You can use an adjustment tool, but I've noticed that over about 100 degrees, they are notoriously inaccurate. The best way to get the correct reading is to take your sample, cool it covered in an ice bath (I use a thin, tall pitcher) and then read it when it gets under 90 degrees and then use the adjustment calculator to get the actual reading.

It's not a linear correction - and the correction factor becomes less accurate the farther above 60* you are. I would not lend much credence to a hydrometer reading taken over 100*F, much better to quick cool a small sample or get a refractometer.

edit: Dang, Yooper beat me to it :)

Haha, well thanks all. I realize I should have cooled it, it's just that I'm trying to salvage what I've got. As the saying goes, next time I'll know better.

EDIT: wow, you guys are fast! I must be a slower typer than I thought!

edit: Dang, Yooper beat me to it :)

Neener, Neener, Neener. Ya snooze, ya lose! :D

I only mention this because for several years I was frustrated by my readings- a high pre-boil OG but poor efficiency (low OG) coming out of the kettle. Once I found out that the readings were flawed, and the corrections were not really even close to accurate, I cooled the sample and took the reading. It would be nice to get a refractometer, but it's not in the budget at the moment!

Back