Adjunct Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batfishdog37

Reaction score
I have never used flaked maize before and am going to in my next batch. Is there anything in particular that anyone has had experience with when using it. I assume it does not need to be crushed. Are there any tips or tricks when brewing with it and/or mashing?

Thanks in advance

Use at least a portion of six row malt. It will help convert the maize more completely. No crushing needed.

I just add it in, flaked maize is pre-cooked and rolled. As long as it is less than 25% of the mash, you'll be fine with 2-row.

Only low fat brewer's corn should be used. It is best to use a double mash strategy where the corn is added to boiled warm and allowed to incubate for a bit before adding other grains. As corn is very nitrogen diluting, a high nitrogen, diastatic malt such as an American lager malt is perfect for use with corn. Pils malt will also do.

Only low fat brewer's corn should be used. It is best to use a double mash strategy where the corn is added to boiled warm and allowed to incubate for a bit before adding other grains. As corn is very nitrogen diluting, a high nitrogen, diastatic malt such as an American lager malt is perfect for use with corn. Pils malt will also do.

except he's using flaked maize which is pre-gelatinized. And since we live in the 21st century where 2 row is very well modified and has ample DP to convert itself and like said above about up to 25% adjuncts, there is no need to use 6 row.

In other words, throw it in the mash and don't worry about it.

Back