Adequate Margin for Brew Pump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek1985

Reaction score
I'm looking to outfit my already functional "mini-brewery" with a small 12VDC pump so I can incorporate a CFC.

I use my 2 gal Coleman "stacker" cooler as a mash-tun and am planning to make my 3 gal BK into an electric.

My question is this: What should the temperature rating be on the pump I use to maintain adequate margin for the pump? Many of the cheaper 12VDC pumps I am looking at are rated for 212F and I expect that boiling wort will be pushing the limits.

I'd ask the manufacturer but I would *think* if its rated for 212 then its likely OK for a few degrees hotter. Anyway, your wort is not going to get much if at all hotter than that since it will evaporate when it does.

Can you elaborate a little?

Sure. The pumps most everyone use for brewing are designed for that. The materials used in the pump housings and impelers are food safe through the intended temperature range.

A bilge pump or some other utility pump is almost certainly not and may leach some nasty stuff into your wort.

Sure. The pumps most everyone use for brewing are designed for that. The materials used in the pump housings and impelers are food safe through the intended temperature range.

A bilge pump or some other utility pump is almost certainly not and may leach some nasty stuff into your wort.

Understood. So you feel that a pump with a 212F rating will be adequate?

Understood. So you feel that a pump with a 212F rating will be adequate?

I have used one for years without issue for my HLT stir pump (I do occasionaly boil in the HLT). I use a Little Giant for my wort transfer pump. I looked but could not find a temp rating on it. As djonesax mentioned, unless you are under pressure you cannot exceed 212F so the rating should be fine IMO.

Back