Adele can't handle American beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonM

Reaction score
Heard a story on the radio this morning about how that singer Adele insists on having "best quality European lager beer" in her dressing room or tour bus or whatever and that "North American beer is NOT acceptable." Then the rider continues that examples of the "best quality European lager beer" means Becks, Stella Artois, Peroni etc.

Adele

Alrighty then, sweetheart.

Adele is a complete and utter idiot. Stella Artois is brewed in Magor, near Chepstow, South Wales. It should be more accurately called 'the worst quality British lager beer masquerading as poor quality European lager beer'.

I have a friend who defines himself as a 'premium quality lager drinker' and drinks Peroni, Heineken, etc. Idiot!

Heard a story on the radio this morning about how that singer Adele insists on having "best quality European lager beer" in her dressing room or tour bus or whatever and that "North American beer is NOT acceptable." Then the rider continues that examples of the "best quality European lager beer" means Becks, Stella Artois, Peroni etc.

Adele

Alrighty then, sweetheart.

Don't forget the Twix and a pack of smokes. Uh... right.

And Peroni is owned by MillerCoors, and Becks and Stela are Anheuser/InBev. How Continental.

I downloaded her album. Couple good songs, mostly blah for me. She does have a good voice (or did, we'll see how it ends up after her surgery).

Nothing wrong with a good European lager if you like light lagers. But saying there is more than a hair's breadth of difference between any of those beers is quite fantastic.

Hate her music, but never bothered to see what she looked like. Now I know why her album cover is a close up.

She fat.

And Peroni is owned by MillerCoors, and Becks and Stela are Anheuser/InBev. How Continental.

Anheuser was bough by InBev didn't it? and not the other way around. So that would make Anheuser continental now.

Couple of pretty good songs, nice debut.

But anytime I hear the name, I think of the Movie "Kalifornia" where Juliette Lewis plays a character named Adele - she flashes Brad Pitt's character, who responds with "Put your t**tie back up, Adele."

By the looks of Adele's physique, there aren't too many beers she doesn't like. Same could be said about her and gravy fries!

I think we're laughing at the suggestion that European BMC is superior to everything made in North America.

I think we're laughing at the suggestion that European BMC is superior to everything made in North America.

If you read the post's, she's fat and can't sing because of her personal opinion on beer. I would venture to guess that the majority of people on here that think "their" beer is the best thing ever made, are fat and can't sing as well.

_

If you read the post's, she's fat and can't sing because of her personal opinion on beer. I would venture to guess that the majority of people on here that think "their" beer is the best thing ever made, are fat and can't sing as well.

_

Yes, but their rider stipulates they can only listen to premium quality North American female vocalists (e.g. K.D. Lang, Miley Cyrus, Lady GaGa), and definitely NOT UK-based vocalists like Adele or Lily Allen.

I find it depressing how many people don't know about the craft beer market. I always have to bite my lip whenever I meet someone that thinks American beer = bud/miller/coors.

Stella is about the last beer I think of when I think of good European beers. Seriously though, I don't see any way that European beers can be said to better on average than American.

They should give her Micky's and tell her to chill.

Marlboro lights? I mean if you're going to be uptight about quality there are many fine tobacconist across the US that could cater to her.

Adele is a complete and utter idiot. Stella Artois is brewed in Magor, near Chepstow, South Wales. It should be more accurately called 'the worst quality British lager beer masquerading as poor quality European lager beer'.

Stella Artois, yeah right, "wife beater" as it's otherwise known. ... Wants a can of Kestrel in her dressing room? ... say what?
Her comment shows her the tarted-up tottenham chav she is.

Well I was referring more to the UK & France. I mean in the UK it seems like people either drink proper English ales, or they drink BMC...there isn't so much middle ground.

Well I was referring more to the UK & France. I mean in the UK it seems like people either drink proper English ales, or they drink BMC...there isn't so much middle ground.

I'll second this. On an episode of Three Sheets, Zane was in Newcastle and the owner of one of the famous pubs in town preferred Bud.

In Ireland, BMC is an "imported" lager. Just like Stella, et al. is to us. So the younger crowd gravitates towards it.

Quite a bit too much non-linear hatred going on here... If there's anything to rag on it's the poor quality article - most likely over-embellishing some fragment of a conversation. Typical, schlocky tabloid journalism.
In any case, it is a bit sad to hear those beers being referred to as 'the best quality' and to see North American Beers blanketly described as insufficient, but it really doesn't say much about Adele herself. She doesn't write this ****. Some assistant's assistant compiles a list and overlays a tone of seriousness, as ANY representative of a multi-million dollar success does. Blame the system, not the lady.

Petty digs at her size are pretty lame, IMHO.

Guys Guys Guys... She probably has no idea what is in her concert rider. That is something the manager or pr person makes up. I doubt she drinks any beer at all. Also consider she has marketing contracts as well.

email her and offer her some of your brew next time she's town.

I heard a list on the radio the other day of things stars demanded be in their dressing rooms, many are stupid and shows how immature they are. Like who would demand a snake be backstage? I mean if it were your pet maybe, but just some snake?

Made me wonder if I were a star what would I demand? Well, I guess before going on stage I would want very little maybe some water I guess. But afterward? Well, probably want to go back to the hotel but I could see some nice beers on the list for backstage and maybe a pizza. But nothing weird. I think sometimes they make those requests to bust balls...make people jump through hoops to satisfy them, again immature.

I think it was Van Halen who wanted M&Ms backstage with all the brown ones removed. The last thing I want is some strangers picking over my candy. I can do it myself thanks. Possibly a racist request? Who knows? Again stupid and just wanting to show how they can make unusual demands and people do it.

jgln said:
I heard a list on the radio the other day of things stars demanded be in their dressing rooms, many are stupid and shows how immature they are. Like who would demand a snake be backstage? I mean if it were your pet maybe, but just some snake?

Made me wonder if I were a star what would I demand? Well, I guess before going on stage I would want very little maybe some water I guess. But afterward? Well, probably want to go back to the hotel but I could see some nice beers on the list for backstage and maybe a pizza. But nothing weird. I think sometimes they make those requests to bust balls...make people jump through hoops to satisfy them, again immature.

I think it's partly just to have that feeling of control, and partly superstition. Just like a lot of athletes have their pre-game ritual or lucky jock strap, some musicians have that weird thing they're afraid of or feel will make them do better.

That's a pretty accurate observation, although you see most lager people drinking Fosters, Carling (yuck!!!!!), or Stella in the UK. Your wannabe bourgeois types will drink Peroni as they are fooled into thinking that it is an upmarket product, and will happily pay up to £5 for a pint of that swill.

jgln said:
I think it was Van Halen who wanted M&Ms backstage with all the brown ones removed. The last thing I want is some strangers picking over my candy. I can do it myself thanks. Possibly a racist request? Who knows? Again stupid and just wanting to show how they can make unusual demands and people do it.

I read an article a couple months back about the M&M rider. It was actually put in there to see how well the venue read the contract and rider. Apparently that particular tour had some serious safety requirements that needed to be addressed before each show to make sure all the band members were safe on stage, and the candy rider was inserted into the middle of safety standards. The M&M thing was a check and balance, seeing if they read it that carefully to get the M&M's sorted, they would have seen the safety requirements.

Stardom gets to peoples heads...

here's a bit of Katy Perry's Rider:

According to Perry’s rider, excerpted here, the performer’s dressing room (which has to be draped in cream or soft pink) needs to be outfitted with two cream-colored egg chairs, one of which should have a footstool. It is unclear whether Perry requires original Arne Jacobsens or cheap knockoffs. A coffee table needs to be “perspex modern style.” A pair of floor lamps should be in “French ornate style.” And the singer’s refrigerator must come with a glass door.

I read an article a couple months back about the M&M rider. It was actually put in there to see how well the venue read the contract and rider. Apparently that particular tour had some serious safety requirements that needed to be addressed before each show to make sure all the band members were safe on stage, and the candy rider was inserted into the middle of safety standards. The M&M thing was a check and balance, seeing if they read it that carefully to get the M&M's sorted, they would have seen the safety requirements.

I would prefer my irrational dislike over a logical reasoning any day.

No BROWN!!!! That's my favorite!!!!! I hate him and everyone he knows!

^ You can tell from all the ! I am very excitable this morning.

StophJS said:
Stella is about the last beer I think of when I think of good European beers. Seriously though, I don't see any way that European beers can be said to better on average than American.

+1 on the Stella comment.

-1 on the rest. The average European brewer isn't concerned with jamming every last IBU they possibly can into a beer. Don't get me wrong, not every American brewery follows this trend, either. But if I took a random sampling of 10 quality American micros, 7 would be overhopped for the style.

I actually really like hops, but I am so over the west coast obsession with the 70 IBU brown ale. Bring on the IIPA and I'll enjoy it because it's supposed to be like that. But overall, call me a traditionalist and let my beers be balanced.

Back