Additions to kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VioletBug

Reaction score
Attempting an IPA from a kit. The only hops provided are pilgrim and cascade. 1oz each. Kit also came with .5oz of oak chips. I'd like to bump up the flavor with dry hop additions. Recommendations?

Two ounces of hops seems short for an IPA, unless the kit is for less than five gallons. I would dry hop with more Cascade. One ounce for five gallons, or less for less than five gallons.

I like the aroma Cascade hops provide.

Some more details on the kit would be helpful.

It is a 5 gallon extract kit.
1lb crisp crystal 60L malt
6.6lbs ambler LME
1oz pilgrim pellets
1oz cascade pellets
The oak chips
Muntons ale yeast

I like real hoppiness....but yeah this seems light

It is a 5 gallon extract kit.
1lb crisp crystal 60L malt
6.6lbs ambler LME
1oz pilgrim pellets
1oz cascade pellets
The oak chips
Muntons ale yeast

I like real hoppiness....but yeah this seems light

Looks more like a pale ale than IPA, you could always add more during your boil and then dry hop as well to help bump up your IBU's

not enough hops.

hopefully you have a homebrew supply store nearby.

where is the kit from? it'll make decent beer but definitely not an IPA.

FYI- don't bother straining out any gunk when you transfer from the boil kettle to the fermenter. just dump the whole thing in.

Let me guess- it's a 'Truebrew' kit, right?
That little packet of munton's yeast is the giveaway.
So, unless you are not fond of hop flavor, I'd go to your LHBS and pick up 2 oz. Cascades. Use the pilgrim at 60 for your bittering charge, add 1oz. Cascades at 20 for flavor, then 1oz. at 5 and dry hop with 1oz.
Also while you're there, pick up a packet of US-05. That 7gm packet of Munton is really not enough yeast for a 5G batch.
If you do this, I guarantee you be happier with the results. :mug:

Loving hoppiness and wanting an IPA I'd use 2 ounces at 15-20 mins, 2 oz at 5-10 mins, and 2-4 oz for dry hopping 3-7 days. You may need to reduce the bittering amount of time though. I generally use 1/2 oz at 70 so that I can load up on the later additions, but I also target 100 IBUs. You could also do a whirlpool.

not to be a hater but i wouldn't ever buy a kit from them again. 2oz of hops in an IPA is a joke. i brew IPAs in 2.5 gallon batches (to keep them fresh) and i use 5-7oz of hops.

This looks like a malty amber ale to me. Given that, the 1 oz cascade would be appropriate. You can still by all means dry-hop another ounce or two if you want. Personally i wouldn't go large on the bittering and flavor additions, but its your beer and to your tastes.

EDIT:
If you do want to hop this bad boy up, a couple or more ounces cascade added in the last 15 will do you. If you want to work with what you have instead, you will get a nicely balanced 26 IBU amber with this hop schedule:

0.5 oz Pilgrim @ 60
0.5 oz Pilgrim + 0.5 oz Cascade @ 15
0.5 oz Cascade @ 0 (let steep a few minutes before chilling)

All great recommendations. Yup....True Brew. The kit was a gift from a well meaning family member. I ended up bittering Pilgrim 1oz for 45 min and using 1oz cascade for 20 min. I'm going to pick up 1-2oz of hops to dry hop once the specific gravity settles out. Im not sure what I'm going to pick up yet though.
As of now it's set up for 33 IBUs

I've generally used a combination of Centennials and Cascades in my pale ales, but this last time I used Falcon's Flight 7c at 5 minutes and dryhop. I really like the difference it added. There's a little more tropical fruity and citrusy flavor than I get with just the C+C.

Back