Additions into an imperial stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nckgibbons

Reaction score
This is my first time doing additions in a secondary for a stout and was wondering if I'm doing too much.

It started with a basic stout recipe at 1.090 OG, right now it's 1.025. When I move it to a secondary next week I was going to add oak chips with some maker's mark for a week, then add cold steeped coffee during bottling. But I was also thinking of "dry hopping" some cocoa nibs as well just for some more flavors. Would you guys think these are too many different tastes or should this be delicious?

i hate coffee, but definitely not too many flavors. sounds like Founders KBS, which even I think is delicious

What specialty grains did you use? You may get the cocoa flavor from them. I'd bottle half of my batch without coffee and then add it to the bucket and bottle the rest. See what you prefer.

Oak, bourbon, coffee, roasted malts, cocoa...lots of stuff.

I would split it into small batches, try varying amounts of additions, see what you like. I'd hate to have 5G if it came off as overpowering.

I didn't even think about splitting it up into different batches. I think I'm going to end up doing that. Thanks guys

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Home Brew mobile app

Back