Adding yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amaier48

Reaction score
So a few weeks back I got two brews to make, I have been waiting for a day off when I could do them both. Well tomorrow is the day.... Here is my problem, when I went to the store I forgot the yeast for one of the brews.... I can't make it to the store till Sunday to get the yeast, but tomorrow is really the only day I have to brew. So the question is.... Is there any harm in brewing tomorrow (Friday) then adding the yeast on Sunday? Thanks

There is a name for your plan. It is called no chill brewing. Sanitation is key. If I were to do this I might seal my boil kettle and let the wort cool in the kettle. Might be the most sanitary piece of equipment after the boil time. Let the wort cool at room temperature. Pitching the yeast with the wort at room temperature will reduce the time it takes for the yeast to begin active fermentation. This will reduce the chances for bacteria to take over the wort.

Back