Adding yeast to flat bottles-Need advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talkingmonkey

Reaction score
I've got an IIPA that's still flat after 6 weeks, so I want to add a wine yeast to get some bubbles. Here's what I'm thinking...

Hydrate yeast in 1 pint of boiled water, divide equally between bottles, recap and shake.

SG-1.09-FG-1.023

Questions-
-Do I still have enough fermentables or should I boil some sugar into the water?

-I'm using one packet of wine yeast. Is this ok or way too much? Is there some formula I should use, or just go with it?

Thanks in advance for the advice!:mug:

Not sure if they are beneficial but I notice that Costco sells carbonation caps with their bottle cases. Would these help or are they discouraged?

I'm very curious about this as well. I, too, have a IIPA that has been flat for 4 weeks now. I'm going to wait until 6 weeks before I worry, but this is my first experience priming with DME.

Can anyone else offer opinions for re-carbonating?

I would give it another month before you pass judgement. Higher gravity brews require longer times to carb up. I don't know if I would go with a wine yeast if I were to go to that option. Many wine yeasts completely ferment out or get very close. with 1.009 left it could potentially cause some bottle bombs. Give it time and if it still doesn't you might try every so slightly pouring the bottles back into your bottleing bucket adding a packet of s-04 and some priming sugar and rebottle. Adding yeast and sugar to each bottle individually sounds like ot might be a recipe for disaster.

Thanks all, I guess waiting another month can't hurt. I think I might have noticed a tiny bit more 'Phshh" sound at week 6 than I did at week 3. We'll see, it's pretty good blended though.

+1 on not adding more sugar if you primed them properly. The sugar would still be there but it's just being eaten slowly. Just keep 'em warm and give 'em time to do their job.

Couldn't stand it, opened one up tonight, (around 7 weeks), it's getting there, slowly. I'm locking them away for a month. Unfortunately, I have the key.

Back