Adding yeast nutrient, and knowing fermentation is finished without SG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kai_c

Reaction score
I decided to try the BOMM recipe, it’s only for 1 gallon and it turns out the carboy is to small for my hydrometer. I was able to take an initial SG reading but now that the mead has dropped to >1.10 the hydrometer is hitting the bottom so I can’t get another reading. Also the neck of the bottle is to thin for my wine thief so I can’t take mead out to measure separately.

I am suppose to add yeast nutrient to the mead at specific gravity points but I no longer know when those are.

- can I just add the nutrients when the bubbles slow down or after a certain time period?

I can’t think of a way to get the mead out of the carboy for testing that doesn’t involve pouring a little out. I might be able to use a siphone to take some out and put in a separate container for measuring. I am worried that using a lot of tools may expose the mead to contaminants and to much air.

- Should I be concerned? Are the SG readings worth it, or should I just go without?

I use a turkey baster. Otherwise, I usually find I have to add every other day. The four I’ve made using this protocol have dropped 20pts a day till the final bit.

Hi Kai_C and welcome. Regarding the addition of nutrients when you don't know the current SG of the wine or mead , that is actually not a good practice. Yeast have a limit when they can uptake nutrients - I think when the ABV is about 9%. After that amount of alcohol is in solution the yeast simply cannot absorb those nutrients and so those minerals and salts are now left dissolved in solution to add to the flavor (not a good thing) or to provide food for volunteer microbes that may then look to your meed as a suitable environment for them (also not usually a good idea). I know that this is not the "preferred" protocol but if I were you and I was unable to monitor the changes in SG and calculate the current ABV I would opt to add the nutrient once at the beginning and be done with it.

For a 1 gallon mead it would be easy enough to weigh it, which I and another guy on this forum proved is pretty accurate, but in your case it's too late for that since you would need to weigh both the amount of honey that you added and the initial total weight. There is a thread here on this forum explaining how to do it.

I think Bray worked out (if you followed the recipe accurately) the time frames of adding nutrients. Follow his recipe to the letter for now, then go and buy yourself a food grade bucket, drill a hole in the lid for the airlock and that will make life a whole lot easier. Well maybe not all of life, but certainly the mead making aspect of it.
If you are really cheeky then you can buy a tap to place about 11/2 inches from the bottom to rack. But only if you are cheeky

Back