Adding Yeast for Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWE

All Grain supports the Brain
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do my first lager soon, and though the bottling phase is still a ways off, I'd like to gather some information from the brewfessionals on here.

I've gotten two opinions on priming Lagers when bottling. Some people just add sugar (whichever choice), bottle and wait. I've also heard some say that it's best to add a small amount of yeast to your priming session to ensure you get a good carb. Makes sense since the lagering process can cause the yeast to fall out of suspension. I'm just wondering if this is precautionary, necessary, or should I worry about it at all?

Just like with ales it really depends on how long you've conditioned something. 6 months or more? Then yes. Two weeks in Lager? Nah, I wouldn't bother. But at the same time it's one of those things that "won't hurt to do" like adding a blow off tube during fermentation. It's not going to harm your beer by doing it regardless of if it's necessary or not.

Just like with ales it really depends on how long you've conditioned something. 6 months or more? Then yes. Two weeks in Lager? Nah, I wouldn't bother. But at the same time it's one of those things that "won't hurt to do" like adding a blow off tube during fermentation. It's not going to harm your beer by doing it regardless of if it's necessary or not.

Thanks Revvy. Most likely will be a 4 week Lager (due to work). Good enough for me though.

Latest posts

Back