Adding Whisky Soaked Oak chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustySteve

Reaction score
For my next brew I would like to try adding some oak chips. Can anyone let me know what would be the best approach? I've been looking around and getting mixed information.

• Ho much oaks should I use for a 5 gallon batch?
  • Do i need to boil the oaks to sanitized them?
  • How long should I soak the oaks in whisky and what is the best way to do this?
  • I usually ferment my beer for 2 weeks in a carboy, at what point should I dd the oaks or should I transfer to a secondary and then add the oaks?

Any tips would be appreciated!!

Cheers!

I always prefer to use cubes over chips. You get better flavor out of them, and their regular size gives you more consistent results.

I use about 4 oz of oak for 5 gallon batch.
No you don't need to boil them if you soak them in whiskey.
I put them in a sanitized hop bag, tie dental floss around the top of the back and hang it in the carboy so you can fish it back out.
You should soak it until it tastes right, it's usually anywhere from 5-14 days for me depending on the beer. Don't over do it, but remember that the oak will mellow over time.
Yes I always use a secondary for oaking, after primary fermentation is complete.

^ ditto. I've used chips before, but they came out harsher and more gritty feeling than cubes. I usually start soaking the oak in bourbon on brew day, then rack onto them once primary is done.

I use spirals and cubes, here is my process:

Boil a little bit of water, throw the cubes or the spiral into it for <5 min.
Soak in bourbon in a glass mason jar for ~ 7-10 days
Day 1: Room temp
Day 2: Refrigerator
Day 3: Room Temp
Day 4: Refrigerator (get the pattern here?)

The thought is that the wood will expand and contract, soaking up more of the bourbon. No idea if the science is real or not - my wife thinks I'm nuts. Probably am.

I never secondary any of my beers - too much hassle.
Primary fermentation ~5-7 days, depending on yeast strain.
Oak in for 7-10 days
Keg
Enjoy.

My process is as follows:

Brewday: Toss 2 oz of oak chips into a jar with 16 oz of bourbon.
Shake once or twice a week, open and smell the oaky goodness.

3-4 weeks after brewday: Dump oak and bourbon into secondary, rack beer into it.

6-8 weeks after brewday: Rack into keg or bottling bucket. Auto-siphon tip prevents chips from being sucked up the tube. Age for another month if possible.

I always prefer to use cubes over chips. You get better flavor out of them, and their regular size gives you more consistent results.

I use about 4 oz of oak for 5 gallon batch.
No you don't need to boil them if you soak them in whiskey.
I put them in a sanitized hop bag, tie dental floss around the top of the back and hang it in the carboy so you can fish it back out.
You should soak it until it tastes right, it's usually anywhere from 5-14 days for me depending on the beer. Don't over do it, but remember that the oak will mellow over time.
Yes I always use a secondary for oaking, after primary fermentation is complete.

Quoting for emphasis.

Just bottled a wee heavy I put on 4oz of medium toast French oak... Sort of forgot about it for 4 weeks on the oak. I am now calling this beer Sergeant Oaks, this is gonna need a long time to mellow.

Back