adding water to a rolling boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmorris1

Reaction score
Ok, question for the AG guru's.

My last batch called for a 90 minute boil which I had not done yet. My first two AG's were 60 minute boils done on very cold, but humid days.

I boiled off a little over a gallon on each of the 60 minute boils, so I decided to collect about 7.5 gallons of runnings for this batch. It must have been less humid that day, and I noticed during the boil that I was losing quite a bit more volume, so I added about a gallon at the 60 minute mark of the boil.

I ended up with just the right amount to transfer after cooling (5.5 gals).

Anyone see anything wrong in doing this? I understand that it may not be the best practice, and I should have collected more runnings, but I figured that if you "top up" doing partial boil extract batches, then it shouldn't hurt anything.

Just curious.... Can't wait to try this one out (its a Ruination clone from BYO).

PS.. forgot to mention that my OG was spot on, so it didn't hurt efficiancy or anything like that....

Sure, you can do that. Sometimes I even do it on purpose -- my kettle will only take 6 gallons safely, and if I want a 2 hour boil for flavor but I don't have enough room in my boil pot I'll boil it down then add a little more water.

ok, thanks... I figured it'd be no problem, but I don't remember seeing anything in this forum about it (which is surprising, cuz pretty much anything is here!).

I was just curious if it affects hop utilization, important in reproducing Ruination for sure.

My pre-fermentation sample tasted incredible (the best yet) and og was right on.

Thanks again!

Back