Adding water in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yonkerj3

Reaction score
Hey so this may be a very stupid question but I am one of the new kids on the block. Here we go:

Is it possible to add water to my secondary to bring the amount of final product yield up, or will that dilute/ screw with the mixture? I only ask because I ended up losing significant volume in the fermenter; I guess I should have filled it a little more above the 5 gallon line.

Thoughts?

Thanks, J

If you're OG is higher than intended i dont see why not.I don't know what you're bottling day entails,for me i boil the priming sugar and gently stir it in my beer just make sure its well mixed at bottling but not to oxegenate.You could always let it ride.Mistakes are knowledge.

That makes sense, I guess what I was trying to get at was that I want to keep my overall quantity up at 5 gallons without loosing flavor. If nothing else would addition of water coupled with extra fermenting time be better?

Let's ask this a different way, "Will having watered down beer be better than having a bit less good beer?" Simple answer: "Put down the water bottle, back away from the beer slowly and no one will get hurt!"

That makes sense, I guess what I was trying to get at was that I want to keep my overall quantity up at 5 gallons without loosing flavor. If nothing else would addition of water coupled with extra fermenting time be better?

Adding water will change the flavor--greatly--but additional fermenting time won't fix it since you are putting in nothing extra for the yeast to ferment.

I think that you are more than right cluckk, this is a quantity over quality question. I would rather have less good beer than more watered beer. Great advice for a novice brewer to hear. Thanks!

J

Back