Adding vanilla extract to bottling bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedevanzoshift

Reaction score
I did some searching and couldn't find a definitive answer.

I brewed up a pumpkin ale this week, and the recipe said to add some vanilla extract to the secondary fermenter. I do not have a secondary as this was my third batch. The recipe which i loosely followed stated to let it sit in primary for 3 weeks, rack to secondary over vanilla and let sit for 1 week then bottle.

I was wondering if i could just skip this step and add the 1 tsp the recipe calls for of vanilla to my bottling bucket at bottling time. would this work? would it be the same as adding it to the secondary?

thanks once again

I would put it into your fermenter after it had fermented for about a week and then let it stay for about another week. This will allow the flavor and aroma to move through all of the beer just like dry hopping.

>.I was wondering if i could just skip this step and add the 1 tsp the recipe calls for of vanilla to my bottling bucket at bottling time.

That should work fine. Just make sure to give a gentle stir a couple of times you transfer to the bottling bucket. Mix up your sugar too.

I suppose you could also use your bottling bucket as a secondary, and then when it comes time to bottle you can use your primary bucket.

A simpler solution for future brews... if your kit came with a primary and a bottling bucket, then primary in the bottling bucket. You can then transfer to the non-spigot bucket for secondary. That way the bottling bucket is clean and ready to use on bottling day.

I'd say add the vanilla to your primary and give it 3-7 days then bottle. You can probably get away with adding at bottling in a pinch, but I think the flavor would be more consistent more quickly if you add it to the primary.

Back