adding the right amount of priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bertoochy

Reaction score
To Do this I need to know average co2 volume, beer temperature , and volume of beer to bottle.

What is the best way to measure volume of beer to bottle? I am brewing a gallon of beer but with all the sediment it's not quite a gallon. Do I rack to a measuring vessel then add sugar and mix and then rack to bottles? This will expose my beer to too much oxygen won't it?

Any suggestions would be great

Thanks

I'd love to know the answer to this too as it seems like everyone adds the priming sugar solution to the bottling bucket before transferring, but as you mention, how do you know how much you will transfer over after leaving the trub in the bottom?

What I've been doing is what you said. Transfer to bottling bucket (with measurements on the side), then weigh out priming sugar based on that volume. Boil priming sugar and water mixture and then add to bottling bucket and gently stir.

BUT, I've had carbonation issues, so maybe it's better to use an approximation for the volume measurement and get better mixing by transferring on top of the priming sugar than it is to possibly get incomplete mixing by putting the priming sugar on top and mixing??

It's def better to rack the beer onto the priming solution. My fermenters have volume measurements On the side. Look at how much trub you have compacted on the bottom & see how much beer that leaves you. I strain my chilled wort into the fermenter,so I get about 3/8-1/2" of compacted yeast & trub on the bottom. I rack all but a very small amount off this trub & yeast. So I use the original volume measurement in a priming calculator,like this one I use most; http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

Back