adding table sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stew!Brew! said:
Can I add table sugar to my cider either mid-fermentation or after fermentation has taken place for a sweeter cider?
Nope. You're just reintroducing fermentables that will ferment.

Adding a non-sugar sweetener like splenda is an option.

You can also plan to stop fermentation early and add yeast killers at the point where it's sweet enough for you. That way you don't have to backsweeten with anything. I would hate splenda in anything let alone a homebrew/cider.

Welcome to our forum!! I was thinking this was going to be a 'how do I pump up ABV with table sugar' thread, and I was way off.

Welcome to our forum!! I was thinking this was going to be a 'how do I pump up ABV with table sugar' thread, and I was way off.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, I notice there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum who usually are more than willing to lend some good advice.

If you're not planning on carbonating your cider, you can let it finish fermenting. And then stabilize it with a sorbate and sulfite combo. You use 1/2 tsp of potassium sorbate and 1 campden tablet per gallon of cider. You rack the cider into this (you dissolve it in like 1/4 boiling water) and then wait a week or so. Then you can use sugar or brown sugar and sweeten your cider to taste.

This only works if you aren't bottle carbonating, though, because it will not allow the yeast to begin fermentation again. If you're bottle carbonating, you need those yeasties to carbonate the cider.

Back