Adding sulfites !?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonianBrewer

Reaction score
Hello,

I started a "WE Vintners Reserve Chilean Malbec" a few months back. It has been a a little over two months since I have added the Sorbate, sulfites and clarifying agents. My question is what volume of additional "preservatives" ie sulfite do I need to add to make this thing stable when I bottle it in a few weeks ? 1/4 tsp of potassium meta sound alright ?

Hello,

I started a "WE Vintners Reserve Chilean Malbec" a few months back. It has been a a little over two months since I have added the Sorbate, sulfites and clarifying agents. My question is what volume of additional "preservatives" ie sulfite do I need to add to make this thing stable when I bottle it in a few weeks ? 1/4 tsp of potassium meta sound alright ?

Yes, that would be the correct amount to use. It's already been stabilized with the sorbate, but adding more sulfites now is an antioxidant and preservative.

Back