Adding sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac21

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Belgian dark strong and am going to be adding some sugar. Originally I was going to add Dememera sugar. Haven't been able to find any at the LHS. Any ideas on substitutions? Also, I've heard of folks adding the sugar to the primary or secondary instead of the boil. What are the benefits to this? Thanks!:D

You can find demerra sugar in most grocery stores - if not, "sugar in the raw" isn't quite it, but is similar enough.

Adding the sugar during the boil has always worked fine for me.

Thanks I'll have to run by the store on my way home today and see if they have any! I was wondering because Sugar in the raw def isn't refined sugar but it also isn't 'brown sugar'. Thanks for the input.

I just did a Westy clone with homemade Candi Sugar, it was incredible with the fruit and caramel flavors. Easy to cook, just takes some time. Added sugar after primary ferm had subsided, theoretically it reduces the stress on the yeast.

Thanks so much. I ended up making invert sugar with sugar in the raw and added ot ten min bf the end of the boil. Brewed it last week and i just added four lbs of cherries. Plan on letting it sit there for about a week.

Back