Adding Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FungusBrew

Reaction score
So I'm looking to add a little sweetness to my next brew (raspberry wheat).

I'd really like to add some additional sugar to achieve this. What sugars can I use that are unfermentable to the degree that they'll keep there sweet flavor?

Thanks

Lactose is the only commonly available one.

Artificial sweeteners are an option as is a good amount of lighter crystal malt.

so, you can add slpenda or nutrasweet?

Yep, it is/was commonly used by UK homebrewers to make Southern Brown since the traditional pasteurization is impractical (method popularized by Dave Line).

It is also sometimes used to sweeten cider.

The advantage relative to lactose is that nothing can ferment the artificial sweeteners. Bacteria can ferment lactose so lactose sweetened beers are prone to infection in the package if you hang on to them for a while.

Bleh. I can taste aspartame in anything, and I think it completely ruins the flavor of drinks. Never had a beer made with it, not that I know of...but if it was going to remain there, I'd imagine it may give a bit of an off-taste. I mean, if it tastes anything like everything else made with artificial sweetener..

Well, if they don't give you the runs, xylitol and sorbitol are "natural" options. Sugar alcohols and my GI do not play well together.

Instead of sweeteners, I'd try using some caramel/crystal malt 10L to steep in the kettle to start with and only using something like lactose later on if it's not sweet enough.

Back