Adding Subtle Flavors...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanagra

Reaction score
Having finished my first AG batch recently, I want to start experimenting with adjusting flavors during the process. I am sure many of you have had some success infusing different fruits and spices, so please share any thoughts on what has worked for you.

First question : Coffee flavoring - WHEN to add?

Should I actually brew some coffee and add it to my hot water just before the mash, or add it at some point during the hour boil, or add the coffee grounds directly to the mash? Are any of all of these applicable?

Second question: Chocolate - WHEN and what FORM to add?

I assume chocolate syrup is the way to go, but would adding cocoa powder be more beneficial? Again, when exactly should the 'chocolate' be added during an AG process?

Thank you all again for your helpful insights and support! Without the information on this site, I certainly would never have had the knowledge to attempt to brew beer in the first place!

- Tanagra

I've read in at least one place on here to brew some coffee and let it cool, then add it to the secondary. I've been interested in similar topics, so i'll be looking forward to responses here.

Coffee- either grounds or brewed in the secondary for the best flavor
Chocolate- secondary. cocoa powder

Back