Adding Strawberries to 2ndary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosquitocontrol

Reaction score
I'm ready today to add strawberries to my secondary for a strawberry wheat. I have a bag of frozen strawberries. I've read previously to heat then to 160 for 15 minutes then cool down before adding. Is this necessary or can I just thaw since they are already sterilized/pastuerized? Should they be cut up or pureed during this time or should I add them whole?

I'm planning on doing this today so the quicker the response the better.

Thanks for all your help.

Good question,I just did a straberry wheat myself and thought of dry hopping strawberries, but instead just steaped them after the boil, because of posible contamination.Hope someone anwers your question,i'd like to know too,please let us know how it turns out.

Alright so what I ended up doing was:

1: Slightly thaw the strawberrries.
2. Cut into quarters
3. Fill a pot with the strawberries top off with 1-2cups of filtered water (to cover)
4. Heat to 160F. Hold for 15 minutes.
5. Cool in sink until 75F
6. Add to secondary
7. Rack beer on top (Fills right to the top, think I'll need a blowoff tube for the first time.)

Plan on moving to tertiary after a week or so.

Looks good.

100_1766.jpg

100_1772.jpg

I think I used 4#. Just put it in a tertiary a few days ago and it looks great.

But take my advice. Rig up a larger diameter blowoff tube or secondary with the fruit in a bucket or larger carboy. You'll avoid the bad dreams all night which turned out true in the morning....

100_1778.jpg

100_1775.jpg

100_1780.jpg

I thought I kept hearing something in the middle of the night. At least my work clothes smelled strawberry fresh for about a week.

By the way, oxyclean is the s.... Takes EVERYTHING out of white carpet.

Original recipe was the AHS Belgian Wheat (Extract Kit) with White Labs Belgian Wit.

By the way, oxyclean is the s.... Takes EVERYTHING out of white carpet.

Even the white?

But anyways, I would love to know how this turns out too, so don't forget to re-post! Of course, same as everyone else....for the SWIMBO! Screw using that strawberry extract poop! :tank:

This looks great. Let us know how this comes out, ok?

+1 on keeping us updated. Ive been toying with the idea of making a fruit beer as well. I've heard from others that its difficult to do when you add fruit directly to your secondary because the yeast ferments the fruit juice and makes your beer taste like a beer/wine.

I am big on this recipe below for raspberry, but the same could be done with strawberries. I am planning to do that soon. Mine overflowed also, but I had it in a shower, so it was no big deal except for the lost flavor. The fresh fruit in the secondary is definitely the way to go. If it acts like raspberries, eventually all the color will drop out of the strawberries, they will turn white and start to fall to pieces. Thats about the time you want to re-rack to another container. Thanks for the pics and humility. Dude, I don't envy you with that carpet.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f75/raspberry-ale-55316/

Luckily I had a snow day from work that day so I had time to clean it up... Although I much rather would have slept in instead!

I almost exclusively brew fruit beer. Part because I'm living in Hawaii, and part because it's hard to find a good one in the stores/bars.

If you want a fruit aroma, you can steep in your boil.

If you want a fruit body, which I much more care for, you want to dry hop in the secondary. IMHO, if you're adding to the secondary there is enough alcohol and co2 to protect the wort from comnatmination If you use fresh fruit, rinse it and make sure the fruit isn't rotten to begin with. Don't worry about it too much, making beer is supposed to be fun.

If you do used commerical fruit, they usually add sugar/corn syrup to perserve the fruit. If that is the case, your ABV will go up about 5% or so, depending on the amount of sugar in the fruit and the amount of fruit used in the secondary. The additional alcohol, once completely fermented, will make your beer sour.

Since this is unavoidable, you need to backsweeten the beer at bottling. This can be done with Lactose (available at your Homebrew store) or splenda (available at your grocery store.) For my wheat beers, I use lactose as it adds body as well as sweetness. When I made a light fruit beer (mango ale) I opted for splenda as lactose would cloud the beer.

My experience has shown that a high ABV beer (i.e. fruit in the secondary) will result in a lighter head if you use the conventional 3/4 cup of priming sugar. To correct for this, I add another 2 T. of priming sugar at bottling...this has helped.

My last caveat is to always use a 3rd fermentation to avoid gushers/bombs. I didn't and wasted a whole batch which gushed on opening. A one week wait is a very cheap price to pay for the best fruit beer you ever had.

Good luck and may the yeast be with you!

If you do used commerical fruit, they usually add sugar/corn syrup to perserve the fruit. If that is the case, your ABV will go up about 5% or so, depending on the amount of sugar in the fruit and the amount of fruit used in the secondary. The additional alcohol, once completely fermented, will make your beer sour.

Can sourness be avoided by using frozen fruit that states on package "no sugar added" and will this also help in not raising ABV by so much?

How about reducing time in secondary? I want noticeable fruit flavoring in my beer but I am to avoid sourness and considerable increase in ABV.

Use frozen fruit with no added sugar and you should be fine. I made a Blueberry Porter last summer with 6# blueberries and it was fantastic.

Back