Adding Spigot to Fermentation Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snarf7

Reaction score
Since a lot is made of oxidation and possible contamination in the fermenter, does it make any sense to add a spigot to the fermentation bucket so I can measure gravity without opening it up? I haven't run into any problems so far but it would make this easier. Usually what I do now is just let it go for 10-14 days and then I'm 99% sure it's done and invariably it is. But it seems like if you had a spigot about midway to avoid sediment you could siphon off a little, test it and then decide...also gives you a taste so you can start thinking about dry hop or other additions.

As long as you can keep it clean and sanitized over time, sure. Why not put it lower, but not as low as in a bottling bucket, so you can actually drain it when transferring to keg or bottling bucket, leaving only a little beer behind? Putting a rotating racking arm inside lets you drain without sucking up trub.

Alternatives:
You can stick a long enough rod (e.g., a long thermometer stem) a straw or a hollow tube down the airlock hole and get a few drops for a refractometer reading. You'll need to use a correction formula to get the actual gravity, since it contains alcohol.

Or use a skinny tubing down that hole and draw/suck/siphon a few ounces out for a hydrometer and taste test. Pull the hose out of the beer quickly, so nothing flows back.

Ideally, when pulling larger amounts, you should add CO2 to the headspace as you're removing beer. I drilled an additional 1" access hole into my bucket lids so I can even add dry hops and stir a few times a day, while streaming CO2 in through the airlock. That way no air can get in while tinkering with the beer.

A bucket with a spigot is the standard fermentor in Australia (PET and glass carboys are quite expensive). You'll hear some arguments that the spigots are easy to knock out and you'll lose all your beer. I've never had this happen, nor have any of my friends/family who also brew. Combined, that would be over a thousand batches. They do need to be kept clean.

A bucket with a spigot is the standard fermentor in Australia (PET and glass carboys are quite expensive). You'll hear some arguments that the spigots are easy to knock out and you'll lose all your beer. I've never had this happen, nor have any of my friends/family who also brew. Combined, that would be over a thousand batches. They do need to be kept clean.

I have broken one of the plastic spigots on my bottling bucket. The threads are the weak point. If you are careful with them to not bump them and don't tighten the nut too much they are fine but my beer is too precious to trust to a plastic spigot that may get broken.

Higher up for taking samples - maybe.

I don't like the idea if they are lower because - what do you do if the trub is deeper than the spigot?
I fear knocking one off.
I fear the cheap plastic spigot may leak.
I fear what may grow in there during fermentation, and that you cannot properly clean them while in place.

I've been using an auto-siphon for 7 3/4 years now without issue. Do I oxidize my beers? Probably. Have I ever had an oxidation problem bad enough that it harmed the beer? Not to my tastes....

I plan some day to go to closed transfers. That will not include a spigot in my fermenting buckets or Better Bottles.

Back