Adding spigot to bottling bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkeller12

Reaction score
Just wondering how close to the bottom of my bottling bucket should I place a spigot? My bucket didn't come with one and figure it would make bottling much easier than using the siphon. Does adding the spigot cause any structural problems to the bucket under the weight of the 5 gallons of beer?

well if you were dumb like me and got the spigot with a 90 degree spout facing down.. then that pretty much dictates how far up its going.. if you got the straight out spigot.. then as low as the nut on the inside will allow.. remember you have to be able to tighten it from the inside.. so as long as the nuts in the inside is 1/8th off the bottom your good.. guessing you wont be fermenting in the saem bucket so trub isn't an issue.. get it as low as it will allow you

edit: the 90's are better for bottling tho.. so what i do is just turn a little after use.. because my spigot goes lower then my bucket.. so if its not hanging iover a countertop it would be resting on the bottom of spitgot.. but they turn pretty easily.. just make sure its tight when you send 5 gals of delicious beer into it..

Back