Adding spices to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lglenny99

Reaction score
I am making a pumpkin ale this weekend. I have read about adding spices, cinnamon sticks and vanilla to the secondary fermentation.

I read to soak the cinnamon stick in vodka to purify them, what about the spices and the vanilla. Do you just pour them in, brew like tea, etc. Thanks for the clarification. Only on brew 2.

I've had better luck with spices adding them 1-5 minutes left in the boil. Otherwise I would just pour them into the secondary. Actually, skip the secondary. Pour them about when fermentation is finishing.

For my pumpkin, I add spices to the boil (5min) as well as prior to packaging, if I feel like the boil addition didn't add enough assertive flavor/aroma. You should be relatively safe (from infection) in adding anything after fermentation, as the amount of alcohol should prevent any bugs from taking hold.

Making a tincture with vodka is another way to go. This, obviously, ensures the flavoring dissolves more readily in the brew. For example, ever notice how hard it is to dissolve cinnamon in hot coffee or water? But adding via a tincture will allow you to control the amount of flavor/aroma imparted.

I always steep spices in vodka (or other alcohol) before adding. It sanitizes them, but for many spices, it improves extraction of the flavors. Vanilla or citrus oil will more readily give up its oils in a higher alcohol solution. Then add both the alcohol and spices a few days before bottling.

So none of you racked to secondary.? I have read the pumpkin sludge left after the boil can ruin the beer if you leave it in primary for a full two weeks and skip secondary. Any thoughts? My last beer i just did primary and then straight to bottling.

So none of you racked to secondary.? I have read the pumpkin sludge left after the boil can ruin the beer if you leave it in primary for a full two weeks and skip secondary. Any thoughts? My last beer i just did primary and then straight to bottling.

I suggest (read: highly recommend) not using pumpkin. If you're not using pumpkin, no need to use a secondary vessel.

Thanks for all the help and clarification. Sorry Morrey for repeating the topic but appreciate the link, was a great help.

As someone earlier said I've had good luck making a spice tea (boil a cup or so of water add spices in a french press). Wait for liquid to cool and then press spices out and add liquid to keg.

Back