Adding spices to mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D3r1v4t1v3

Reaction score
Hey All,
First time mead maker here. Technically I already started one batch that is fermenting, but I want to start a second one with some spices.
I have 1 gallon carboys and how much spice do I add to that to impact the flavor?
My idea was to use some Apple Cider power packets (the 0.74 oz) to try and flavor it that way.
I know you can add fruit and your own spices to the mead, I just thought I would try this first.
what are some recommendations on how much of the powder to use? Or if I should be going about this in a different way? I’m trying to change as few variables as possible
Thanks!

D. I have used vodka tinctures to excellent effect. You put the spices in a cup or so of vodka and let it soak for awhile (1 or 2 weeks) shaking it occasionally. This mixture you can add to taste when you put your finished mead into the bottles or keg. Good luck :mug:

Back