Adding spices to beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelpeach76

Reaction score
I've decided to add spices to my next batch including allspice, nutmeg, and cinnamon. From what I gather...the last 5 mins of the boil would be when to add. Does that sound right? Also, How much should I start with? I figured maybe 1/3 tsp of each...? I want the spices to be subtle as in a hint of them. Any suggestions? Just an FYI I've never used spices before and this is gonna be a 5 gallon batch.

I do that method often when adding spices to insure I don't overdo it. You can strain the tincture with a sanitized coffee filter prior to adding it so you don't get the spices directly into your beer.

I do that method often when adding spices to insure I don't overdo it. You can strain the tincture with a sanitized coffee filter prior to adding it so you don't get the spices directly into your beer.

That being said what's your method...adding to your bottling bucket or keg until you're happy with the flavor? How much vodka should be used, and how much of the spices would you add to the vodka?

I would do a few oz of vodka, then maybe 1/3-1/2 tsp each. Start light, maybe add half to bucket/keg then rack the beer onto it, which should mix it. If you want more, add and stir very gently, or if kegging, seal with CO2 and swirl it. Its easy to overdue spices, so start light. If planning to age, they will fade some over time

Back