Adding spices to Applejack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Since making Applejack is no longer considered distilling by the TTB, has anyone who made it ever added spices to their batches? I have a batch that I think is a tad bitter for apfelwine. It could be the fact that I used Cotes De Blanc instead of Montrchet or it could be because I use #2 dextrose to 4.5 gallons of apple juice. I have some Cinnamon sticks that I plan on adding but want to try some other ideas as well
TIA
Zman

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdTiIZwq8v0]Basic Brewing Video - Apple Jack - February 26, 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

I've never made apple jack so I thought I would ask about your process. How do you freeze 4.5 gallons? Do you rack it off into gallon jugs and freeze individually?

I've never made apple jack so I thought I would ask about your process. How do you freeze 4.5 gallons? Do you rack it off into gallon jugs and freeze individually?

I racked into 5 1 gal milk jugs and froze it in the chests freezer. After it froze I inverted it in my brewing funnel into a pitcher. I then transferred it to growlers

I racked into 5 1 gal milk jugs and froze it in the chests freezer. After it froze I inverted it in my brewing funnel into a pitcher. I then transferred it to growlers

I've thought about doing this but the concentrating of the undesirable alcohols etc. has me a little nervous, how are the hangovers? :)

Cheers

HW

Ever had Eisboc?

No, just Eiswein, but that's a whole different process.

I have a gallon I could try this with...do I need to age it until it is drinkable or does it turn out fine from green cider?

Cheers

HW

I am in the process of making a 1 gal batch of cider that will be turned into apple jack. From what i have read and hear on other forums. Your returns keep on diminishing depending on how concentrated you want to make it and how strong it is to start.

No, just Eiswein, but that's a whole different process.

I have a gallon I could try this with...do I need to age it until it is drinkable or does it turn out fine from green cider?

Cheers

HW

I think it really benefits from aging. SWMBO's opinion differs I think next time I am stop at 1.020 or so and see if it makes a difference in the sweetness. I added t cinnamon sticks to one of the bottles and I like how it tastes

I am in the process of making a 1 gal batch of cider that will be turned into apple jack. From what i have read and hear on other forums. Your returns keep on diminishing depending on how concentrated you want to make it and how strong it is to start.

I think there is some truth to that. For the nerxt batch I want to stop fermentation @ 1.020, cut down on the amount of Corn Sugar added to see if I get more sweetness. A friend of mine and a fellow brewer suggested back sweetening with lactose or some kind of sweetener.

Back