Adding Smoked Malt Post Fermentation Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tamir

Reaction score
Hi! :)

I would to make an Irish Dry stout next week, and I would love to split it after fermentation is complete and add 0.5KG (1lb~) smoked malt to half of the batch (Weyerman's Rauch).

This is what I can't or don't want to do:
- Adding liquid smoke - tried it, it is horrible.
- I can't split the beer on the boil to two kettles.

Ideas that I have so far:
- Doing a mini mash for the 0.5KG of grains, boil the wort and add it to the fermenter, but I think it would be hard to do in such a small volume.
- Cold steep the grains and boil the wort, and add to fermenter - I don't know what all the starches from the grain will do to the beer.
- Maybe "kill" the enzymes in the grains by toasting them and then steep them, but 0.5KG of roasted grain will really change the recipe.

Do you have any better ideas for me?
Thanks!

can you do two mashes and just brew two 2.5g beers? A bit longer brew day, but probably the best way to do it.

I guess you could do a mini mash with the smoked malt and some base malt, boil with a pinch of hops and then add to one of the fermenters.

I don't think you could really add the smoked malt post fermentaiton, but i may be wrong. But maybe you could add that wort in place of priming sugar?

Either split up the preboil wort, boil one as usual, and then mash the rauchmalz either separately, or in the wort for it's half, and mix them pre-boil. Or you could do it partigyle style, but that would require a lot of math on your part. I did this recently, taking the same non-smoked base sour mash for a Gose and Lichtenhainer, splitting the runnings, and then adding a separate mash of smoked malt to the Lichtenhainer pre-boil.

I will say, 1 lb of Weyermann rauchmalz will be pretty subtle, you may want to use more depending on your taste for it.

Like I said, I don't have the equipment for 2 parallel boils.

Like I said, I don't have the equipment for 2 parallel boils.

Do you have two fermenters?

If so you would do two boils, one after the other.

I really don't think there is a good way to add the smoked malt post fermentation. I think the only way would be to use a flavoring.

Back