Adding pumpkin!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saltystix

Reaction score
Hey! New here and got a question.

This is my third batch and I'm doing an extract pumpkin ale kit from Austin Homebrew.

I have purchased two cans of pumpkin to use. I believe the instructions say to add to the boil but I am misunderstanding the directions. When do you guys suggest to add the pumpkin after I bake it... to the 60 minute boil? To the steeping? Last 15 minutes of the boil?

Other notes... ill be boiling about 3.5 gallons for my wort. Also I purchased the 1% alcohol boost from Austin to add.

If you guys have any suggestions or help it is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Kyle

Toss it in during steeping, but make sure you spread it out on a sheet and bake it for 25 minutes at 350 first (helps release flavor). Steep it anywhere from 30-60 minutes. I would add another can if you are doing 15oz ones.

Do it for the whole boil. You'll end up with all of it in the bottom of your carboy and will actually only have 4.5 gallons of beer or so, but it'll be fine.

I brewed this last week and added 3 15oz cans of pumpkin after baking for 30 mins at 350. I steeped it for 45 minutes at 155 degrees. I tasted before I put it into the primary and my wife said it tasted like liquid pumpkin pie.

none of the people above me are wrong. it's your beer, your decision.

a friend just made some and steeped it instead of boiling. ive had it in a full boil. either way is good. when my friend made it, double muslin bagged it to keep most of the actual pumpkin in and it worked quite well with getting most of the flavor from the pumpkin

"none of the people above me are wrong. it's your beer, your decision."

Agreed. Revvy's link clarifies the reasons behind our personal preferences.

Yet another way you could do it: I used 3 cans and baked them as described above. I put half of it in at the beginning of the boil and the other half with 15 minutes to go.

Yet another way you could do it: I used 3 cans and baked them as described above. I put half of it in at the beginning of the boil and the other half with 15 minutes to go.

I went this route.

Very vicious fermentation showing in the airlock.
Starting gravity was a little higher than the recipe called for. I'm guessing that was from the 1% alcohol boost and the baked pumpkin?

Thanks everyone

So you guys don't just throw the pumkin in the pot? You put it into muslin bags? I'll be brewing some up this week so I just want to be clear about what I'm doing.

When I did it, I put the organic canned pumpkin directly in the muslin bag with the grains. It will seep out anyway, so I don't really see it mattering or not.

the basic brewing mp3 was really interesting. basically they brewed two beers: one with 8-9 pounds of pumpkin and one without any pumpkin. The guy they got to taste it could tell a slight "vegetal" taste in the one brewed with pumpkin but otherwise pretty similar, based on spice/body. They also suggested to toast the pumpkin really well before you use it, to get more roasty flavors.

I put some roasted pumpkin in my mash, in my boil, and in primary after fermentation. I'm always going to go with using pumpkin in my pumpkin ales, rather than just relying on the spices. Who cares if it takes an extra hour or two to make, how often do you make a pumpkin beer?

Back