Adding pumpkin to NB Smashing Pumpkin Extract. Rice hulls?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ampsonic

Reaction score
Hello!

Just ordered the NB Smashing Pumpkin extract kit, and of course I want to add some real pumpkin. Northern Brewer instructs me to use 2-3 cans of pumpkin and 2-3lbs of 6-row. (Side questions: Should I use two or three cans? Two or the lbs of 6-row?) I intend to bake the pumpkin for 1 hr at 350 to caramelize a bit before I mash it at 152 degrees.

I've read online that I should also get "rice hulls." I don't really understand what this is used for, and if I need to do it at all, since I'm doing extract and not all grain. Any advice appreciated!

Nick

heh 3rd pumpkin question I've answered today but I love pumpkin beer :)

Rice hulls are used in an all grain mash, like you said. The mash sparge can get stuck because the pumpkin makes it all gummy. The rice hulls help keep the mash from getting gummy so the sparge can flow nicely. I am confused about your kit as it sounds like a partial mash kit since you're mashing pounds of 6 row... If it were me I'd get a nylon bag and mash the pumpkin in with the 6row in the bag.

To answer your side question about how much pumpkin to use I'd need to know the batch size. I usually use 1 can for up to 3 gallons. If it's 5 gallons I'd use at least 2 cans as 3 might be pushing it. You wont get much flavor from the pumpkin, just a smooth mouth feel and some color, so feel free to use 3 cans if you prefer. The pumpkin flavor usually comes from the pumpkin spices you add at the end of the boil. Hope that helps!

I agree with bobeer, but I'd do it a little different.

All that you want from the pumpkin is some starches, which make up very little (<5%?) of the pumpkin. To get those starches in solution, you gelatanize them by boiling. What you can do is boil the pumpkin for a while, then decant the water leaving all the gunk behind, from there you can do whatever you want including mashing and converting what starches are in the water using a base malt.

Mashing with actual pumpkin isn't worth the hassle IMO, just boil the pumpkin to get what you want into solution, then mash that. It makes sense in my head at least.

I am confused about your kit as it sounds like a partial mash kit since you're mashing pounds of 6 row... If it were me I'd get a nylon bag and mash the pumpkin in with the 6row in the bag.

It's an extract kit, but it really becomes partial mash when you decide to use real pumpkin. I have a nylon bag and I'll mash the 6-row, pumpkin, and speciality grains in it. I just didn't know if I needed to add rice hulls into it as well. Since it really becomes BIAB at that point, are rice hulls moot?

Also, I guess I've never really understood what a "stuck sparge" is. Does that mean when you are draining the liquid out, it physically gums up and you can't get more liquid through?

It's an extract kit, but it really becomes partial mash when you decide to use real pumpkin. I have a nylon bag and I'll mash the 6-row, pumpkin, and speciality grains in it. I just didn't know if I needed to add rice hulls into it as well. Since it really becomes BIAB at that point, are rice hulls moot?

Also, I guess I've never really understood what a "stuck sparge" is. Does that mean when you are draining the liquid out, it physically gums up and you can't get more liquid through?

That's exactly what it is. As I said before, most of pumpkin is junk, and not water soluble, so, like the grain husks, it doesn't leave the bag. Worse yet, it's the most dense thing in the bag, so it goes to the bottom and blocks everything above it from coming out.

yea, you do not need the rice hulls since you're biab'ing it. Just give it a good stir pretty often and you'll be good.

m_stodd's method sounds like it'll work too. I agree that doing a traditional mash with pumpkin can be a hassle and that's why I just biab. No muss no fuss. Good luck man!

Back