Quantcast

Adding priming sugar

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Dark_Ale

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2005
Messages
623
Reaction score
3
Location
Liberty
Just curious how everyone adds their priming sugar? I have been adding about 6 inches or so of finsished beer to my bucket, then with a slow stir adding the priming syrup with a slow stir? Is their a better way?
 

smorris

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2004
Messages
162
Reaction score
2
Location
West coast of FL
I put it in the bottom of the bottling bucket and rack into it. The siphon does a fine job of stirring it up and having that bit of fluid in the bottom avoids any splashing when the siphon starts.
 

crum

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2005
Messages
65
Reaction score
0
I followed instructions from a book I was reading.
It was to boil a cup and a half of water, mix in the priming sugar to the hot water (not while still boiling) and put in the bottom of the bottling bucket. Then siphon the wort into the bucket and mix with the siphon tube gently. Just did that this last saturday. Hopefully it is a good way to mix in the priming sugar.
 
OP
Dark_Ale

Dark_Ale

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2005
Messages
623
Reaction score
3
Location
Liberty
crum said:
I followed instructions from a book I was reading.
It was to boil a cup and a half of water, mix in the priming sugar to the hot water (not while still boiling) and put in the bottom of the bottling bucket. Then siphon the wort into the bucket and mix with the siphon tube gently. Just did that this last saturday. Hopefully it is a good way to mix in the priming sugar.
I'm gonna try that next time, mabe it will mix better that way
 

Brewman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2004
Messages
80
Reaction score
2
Location
Long Island NY
Its amazing seeing how many different ways people are doing things here.......

I boil about 1-2 cups of water and add the sugar then mix like CRUM...... works great......

Interesting on skipping the boiling and just adding it in on the bottom...... :)
 

NUCC98

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2004
Messages
222
Reaction score
1
Location
Providence, RI
Brewman said:
Its amazing seeing how many different ways people are doing things here.......

I boil about 1-2 cups of water and add the sugar then mix like CRUM...... works great......

Interesting on skipping the boiling and just adding it in on the bottom...... :)
My local homebrew shop sells a replacement for priming sugar by Munton's called Kreamyx. Haven't tried it yet, but was wondering if anyone else had....it contains dextrose, DME, and propylene glycol heading agent to prime and enhance head formation and retention....kinda like viagra for beer! :D
 

smorris

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2004
Messages
162
Reaction score
2
Location
West coast of FL
My response could be interpreted wrong. I do boil it in a couple cups of water and add the solution to the bottom of the bucket and let the siphon current mix the solution. I setup the siphon tube to direct the current around the circumfrence of the bucket which seems to provide a good mix. Once I get about half the beer trasnferred I lift the tube a couple inches to let the beer jet against the bottom which causes upwelling and helps the mixing.
 

arachnyd

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2005
Messages
66
Reaction score
0
Location
Royal Oak, Michigan
I lay down a blanket of CO2 on top of the priming bucket before adding the priming sugar and giving it one turn of the spoon. The theory is that this will make oxygenation less likely.

Have not heard of this Kremyx before - would like to hear about anyone's experience. Having always had fine results from corn sugar or dry malt extract for priming, I probably will never try it unless I hear something remarkable about it

I have, as I mention, used DME - I find that 1 cup in a 5 gallon batch is about right for most things. Obviously if you are making a style that requires less carbonation, you should use less malt.
 

Brewman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2004
Messages
80
Reaction score
2
Location
Long Island NY
smorris........ ;) funny you made the interpritation comment....

after reading that I tired just adding the sugar to the bottom just for the hell of it without disolving it in water first...... it almost all disolved but there was some sugar residue on the bottom when I was done.....

I'm sure my Vinailla Weise will come out great!

Most of the time I add a bit less priming sugar because I don't like the beer to fizzy anyway.
 

NUCC98

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2004
Messages
222
Reaction score
1
Location
Providence, RI
Brewman said:
smorris........ ;) funny you made the interpritation comment....

after reading that I tired just adding the sugar to the bottom just for the hell of it without disolving it in water first...... it almost all disolved but there was some sugar residue on the bottom when I was done.....

I'm sure my Vinailla Weise will come out great!

Most of the time I add a bit less priming sugar because I don't like the beer to fizzy anyway.
Just out of curiosity, what did you use (and how much) for the vanilla flavor?
 

Brewman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2004
Messages
80
Reaction score
2
Location
Long Island NY
For the first time ever I used 2 real vanilla beans. This won't be as strong as extract but should give it just a "HINT" of flavor. At the time of bottling it had a faint smell of vanilla.

It tasted really good even before bottling.

I will be trying some this weekend, I bottled last Saturday - Time for a sample!
 

liquorcraft

New Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2005
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Dark_Ale said:
Just curious how everyone adds their priming sugar? I have been adding about 6 inches or so of finsished beer to my bucket, then with a slow stir adding the priming syrup with a slow stir? Is their a better way?
How about adding a measured amount of priming material (sugar, dextrose or malt) directly to the bottles. There are measuring devices made for this specific purpose that ensure that the dosage is correct. It never seems to be mentioned in America but we do it all the time in Australia & I can assure you it works very well & causes no detrimental effect on the taste of the beer. It also saves a syphoning operation with it's attendant dangers of contamination.
 
OP
Dark_Ale

Dark_Ale

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2005
Messages
623
Reaction score
3
Location
Liberty
liquorcraft said:
How about adding a measured amount of priming material (sugar, dextrose or malt) directly to the bottles. There are measuring devices made for this specific purpose that ensure that the dosage is correct. It never seems to be mentioned in America but we do it all the time in Australia & I can assure you it works very well & causes no detrimental effect on the taste of the beer. It also saves a syphoning operation with it's attendant dangers of contamination.
How much does it take per 12oz bottle?
 

liquorcraft

New Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2005
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Generally you would add at the rate of 8g per litre
This can be reduced in the case of ales & stouts that are much better with lower bottle pressures.
 

CoopersFan

New Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2005
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
Geelong, Australia
Nice to see that another Aussie is on here liquorcraft. I was wondering what was going on when I was reading about all this siphoning off and all that. I just prime each bottle with what are labled "Carbonation Drops". Like little lollies (candy). They are 73% Sugar, 27% Dextrose. 1 for a "Stubby" - 375ml and 2 for a "Long Neck" - 750ml
 

Janx

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2004
Messages
1,677
Reaction score
24
Location
San Francisco Bay Area
I think people opt to add sugar to the whole batch because it's easier and cheaper than the carbonation drops. If you know you want to bottle the whole thing, then why not just add sugar to the whole thing? If you don't use something pre-measured like the drops, then adding directly to the bottle can result in undercarbonation or exploding bottles if you're off by just a little bit. Mixing sugar in the whole batch provides a buffer against that sort of thing.

The drops seem like a fantastic idea if you just want to bottle part of a batch...some arbitrary number of bottles.
 

Rhoobarb

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
3,553
Reaction score
20
Location
Gainesville
I've used plain light DME since about my third batch. 1-1/4 cup DME to about 2 cups of water. Boil water, remove from heat, add DME, stir to dissolve, bring to boil for five minutes and cool.

As for adding the priming DME, I have been adding it in stages. I eyeball it; adding about 1/5 of the priming DME for about each gallon (in a five gallon batch). Then, I gently stir it for a few turns.

Maybe I'm overdoing it, but I haven't had any problems (yet!).
 
Top