Adding priming sugar to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bja

Reaction score
I have quite a bit of priming sugar which I don't use, What would happen if I added some to the secondary?

Thanks.

Bob

It would most likely increase the alcohol content and add some sweetness. While there isn't a ton of yeats in secondary, there is some and it will ferment and new sugars added. No real reason to do it though. Save it for bottling, if it is sealed well it should go bad.

You could use it to carb a keg while you have another hooked up to your CO2. Not too sure what to suggest other than that. My only concern for you in adding it to secondary is that it might mess up the flavors of your brew by either adding too much sweetness or having too much of an alcohol taste.

Another thought is that if introduce more sugar in secondary you will start fermenting again. this would kind of defeat the purpose of secondary which is designed to clear and condition. Active yeast again kind of goes against the whole point of it.

How much sugar are we talking here?

You could use that bottling sugar in a batch of apvelwein. 2 lbs in a 5 gallon batch is some good drinkin.

covered95 said:
It would most likely increase the alcohol content and add some sweetness. While there isn't a ton of yeats in secondary, there is some and it will ferment and new sugars added. No real reason to do it though. Save it for bottling, if it is sealed well it should go bad.

Adding sugar actually dry's a beer out compared to most other fermentables. It will not add sweetnes.

How much are you talking about?

I say do not do it. It will make your beer worse.

I agree with Orfy. Dextrose will dry your beer out more and add more alcohol character to the aroma and flavor. That will throw your whole recipe out of balance and probably make for a less pleasant beer.

Save it for priming or go with that apfelwein suggestion!

TL

Thanks for the replies. I'm making a cherry stout for new years and thought 1/2 lb of sugar may give it an extra kick. I have about 3 lbs. If it will make it dry, I don't want to do it.

If you wanted a little more alcohol, add sugar to the boil so it ferments in primary. since it ferments completly it does 'dry out' the flavor, but it depends on how much you use.

good beer is all about balancing dryness, sweetness/maltiness, bitterness, and hop flavor/aroma.

I would think it would delay the secondary/conditioning by more than a week. Don't forget you have less yeast as some/most have flocculated out, and you will defiantly start up fermentation again. If you plan on bottling, you may make some bottle bombs if you don't wait long enough, and at the very least it will make it dryer.

Jesse17 said:
I would think it would delay the secondary/conditioning by more than a week. Don't forget you have less yeast as some/most have flocculated out, and you will defiantly start up fermentation again. If you plan on bottling, you may make some bottle bombs if you don't wait long enough, and at the very least it will make it dryer.

Well, I'm guessing the cherry puree is going to start up fermentation too, but I don't want it to dry out any.

Thanks,

Bob

Back