Adding peaches to secondary with pectin enzyme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bevilaquafoto

Reaction score
I have been reading all the posts here about pectin enzyme, and it's clear to me that it has to be used BEFORE fermentation begins. Generally, you use it about an hour before pitching. However, I now want to add some peaches to my five gallon batch of hard cider in a secondary fermenter. This will make the cider very cloudy. Can I NOT use pectin enzyme to clear it? One generally adds fruit after fermentation and racking. Is it then too late for pectin enzyme? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

so I added the fruit to the secondary and added pectin after...NOOB mistake i am guessing. Now I am 7 months into the sour beer process and the puree is floating to the top, bubbler has restarted with a white pectin skin forming......not sure what to think. I have made wine before and the skin is normal doesnt ruin the wine so naturally im a bit perplexed as I never have had this issue before.

Back