Adding Other Flavor to Fermenting/Fermented Apple Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike72677

Reaction score
Here's some additional info:

Here's the history so far:

10-13-2013 - SG 1.05 of cider
- SG 1.082 prior to fermentation

10-20-2013 - SG .996 after primary fermentation in bucket
- Transfer to carboy

My ultimate goal is a apple/cherry wine. I was thinking of going with the apple/cherry frozen concentrate so add some cherry flavor and top off the carboy. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

I have 5 gallons of fresh pressed cider fermenting. I would like to add cherry to the wine to make an apple/cherry mix. Could I add a frozen concentrate something like this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Old-Orchard-100-Juice-Apple-Cherry-Concentrate-Frozen-12-oz/10805178 and when would I add it? I have some room in my carboy that I should probably top off next time I rack (it will be my 2nd racking). Thanks!

Well, if you want to add flavor via that juice you'll have to stabilize the wine before you add it. Fermentation will kick back in and chew through all that sweetness and flavor if you don't. So make sure to add your campden tablets (or potassium metabisulphite) and potassium sorbate.

The other option would be to just go ahead and add the concentrated juice, let it ferment dry for the second time, let it clear, bottle, then wait 6 months to a year to see if the cherry flavor starts to come through with age. Time does all kinds of wonderful things for wine, if you can wait :)

Back