Adding oatmeal to a can kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

universe

Reaction score
Not getting any help in the extract forum so I apologize for the cross post. Should I mash the oats and add to primary? Any advice would be awesome. Thanks.

Yes oats do need to be mashed. You could do a mini mash with them using 1.5X of pale malt. This will convert the oats' starches and also get some extra flavor & fermetables from the pale malt added to your brew. :mug:

Yes oats do need to be mashed. You could do a mini mash with them using 1.5X of pale malt. This will convert the oats' starches and also get some extra flavor & fermetables from the pale malt added to your brew. :mug:

Thanks for the post. To clarify...do you mean mash the oats with some DME and water for example? Not 100% sure on your terminology. Thanks.

You need to mash with pale malted barley - the grain. DME has no active enzymes left in it so will not convert the starches in your oats to sugars. Read the wiki about mini mashes to learn how to do this.

GT

You need to mash with pale malted barley - the grain. DME has no active enzymes left in it so will not convert the starches in your oats to sugars. Read the wiki about mini mashes to learn how to do this.

GT

Cool thanks. I assume I could do this without the pale malt though eh?

No, you need the malt. It has the enzymes in it. You add water and they become active and break down starch in the malt AND the oats to sugar. If you just use the oats you will make porridge and wash out starch. You will get little if any sugar, minimal flavour and alot of starch that will just make your beer hazy - although that won't be very noticeable in a stout.

GT

No, you need the malt. It has the enzymes in it. You add water and they become active and break down starch in the malt AND the oats to sugar. If you just use the oats you will make porridge and wash out starch. You will get little if any sugar, minimal flavour and alot of starch that will just make your beer hazy - although that won't be very noticeable in a stout.

GT

Any advice on volumes? I'm going to get these grains and try it. Probably the first step toward extract brewing for me. Slippery slope I bet.

Back