Adding nutes for brett?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Electrake

Reaction score
My project ended up fermenting dry much more quickly than expected. By dry I mean under 1.000. There was also brett and a lactobacillus in the mix, which I'm going to assume does not haave enough nutrients to do its thing. I'm contemplating adding more juice (this was a cider in question) to the blend to see what happens, what would you do?

I've only made a blackberry cider once, so I'm not an expert. I did the exact same thing as you - I let it ferment a day or two too long without adding the potassium sorbate to arrest fermentation. I watched a bunch of YouTube videos and found that most seasoned experts handled the situation by adding the potassium sorbate, then adding pure juice to taste.

If you are carbonating in bottles, add the juice, but don't add the potassium sorbate. Wait a few days for the carbonation to occur, then pasteurize the bottles in 190* F water for a few minutes. You should Google "pasteurize cider bottles" for a good tutorial.

I'm not attempting to pasteurize at all, but rather add morre nutrients for the "funky" or sour bugs to do ttheir thing

Back