Adding Multiple Water Hookups/Connections In Garage from Existing Water Softener and Heater

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awoitte

Reaction score
Hi All,

I posted this question in DIY reddit but wanted to extend it to those specifically in brewing to see if I can get some good ideas from y'all:

I'm planning on installing a sink and RO water treatment system in my garage for my homebrew setup and need guidance for adding (3) cold water connections and 1 hot water connection from my existing water heater and water softener also located in the garage.

My main concern/question is how to tap/tie into the existing connections to create additional hot/cold hook ups.

For hot water, can I T off where my hot water feeds into my house from the top of my hot water heater and run it to my hot water sink input?

For cold water, can I T off of the water softener output and add to some kind of a 3-ball lock manifold?

I'm thinking it would go something like:

Hot Water Heater Outlet --> T --> Run toward sink --> Ball valve shutoff --> Line to sink

Water Softener Outlet --> T --> Run toward brew setup --> Ball valve shut off --> run that goes into a 3 piece manifold with additional shut offs so I can turn off chiller but still have RO/Sink running --> Run to chiller, RO, & sink.

Here's my current water softener and heater setup if it helps.

https://imgur.com/orhzDN6

https://i.imgur.com/oscSSdp.jpg

Last edited:
I installed a tee from my cold water line (before water heater) and hot water line (right after hot water heater) using Sharkbite fittings. Home depot sells them and I have never done any plumbing but worked well and were easy to install just with a tube cutter. Then I ran PEX tubing from the tee to my sink.

Hope this helps! Cheers!

If you are going to anywhere that freezes, I would suggest using valves that allow you to open them to drain. Not sure where you live, but here in New England, all the outdoor valves have a small bleeder so you can open and leave them empty in the winter. I know PEX is a little more forgiving, but still worth thinking about.

Back