Adding more yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cphair16

Reaction score
I killed the yeast because I added it when the wort was too hot. Can I add more yeast to start the fermentation process over?

Well it was my first brew and I took the boiled extract and added it to 4 gallons of tap water. I didn’t let the wort cool and added the yeast right away. Now it’s been 3 days with no action the airlock. Rookie mistake.

1 Gallon of hot water added to 4 gallons of cool water should be okay for pitching yeast in.

Give it a good shake, make sure it's at fermenting temperature.

It wont do any harm to chuck more yeast in.

I also didnt put the yeast in water before i added it. Will that have anything to do with no action the the airlock after 3 days.

what is a good way to check for a leak? I dont want to use the old soap trick because of fear of gettign soap in the fermenter.

I'm not sure you can if you don't think there's any co2 being generated.
Only way to see if the things alive is check gravities.
If I was in your position and couldn't check gravity I'd just repitch.

The first kit I did, I never really saw any signs of fermentation and thought my yeast was dud. However checking the gravity after a week showed me that it had happened i'd just missed it (must have happened overnight) You said in your post yesterday that you had bubbles in your airlock after 6hrs but the next day there were none. Mabey something has happened, like Orfy says I would check your gravity if you can.

Also are you using a fermenting bin/bucket which you bought in the UK. Some of the ones you get with the starter kits here are designed to be used without an airlock i.e the lid clips down all the way round but is not completley airtight and will alow the Co2 to escape.

Back