Adding liquor to alt beer???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HJCK

Reaction score
I have a batch of Altbeir that turned out to sweet because I added to much Carmel malts to the recipe. The question is if any one knows what would happen if I added some Bourbon, Rum, or something along those lines to make it into something different . The beer is carbonated and aged for about four months. If any one has any experience with this I would be interested.

For starters it would be a little more alcoholic!
I soaked some stave shavings in gentleman jack for a secondary once before and the flavor from both was very present. I would advise adding a little at a time and mixing and tasting along the way.
Even better, pull a few pints and add a different measured amount of liquor to each one and see what you prefer.
Let us know what you find out!

I would consider adding something clean tasting. If you're happy with the flavor and you just want to cut the sweetness something like a vodka or even a tequila would add a twist but not sweeten the brew like if you added triple sec to it. That would give it an orange flavor but add sweetness

I tried adding some rum to a glass on the week end and that tasted very good. The one thing I am not sure of is how the rum will mix in the keg of carbonated beer. Does any one know if the rum will separate from the beer?

it shouldn't Beer is basically water and alcohol, Rum is basically water and alcohol. Water and alcohol readily mix......

Just wanted to let you all know that this was a big hit with my home brew fans! I did one keg of altbeir with bourbon, one with rum and one keg of blonde ale with scotch. the bourbon was the best because the bourbon flavor really took over, the rum was good but did not influence the taste as much as the bourbon but still covered the off flavors that had been present in the beer, the scotch was really good and made the blonde ale 7% but did not do much to the flavor of the beer.
Defiantly a fun experiment.

Back