Adding Kahlua to a sweet stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patirck

Reaction score
I'm making a sweet stout this weekend that has chocolate and coffee. The chocolate is actually cocoa powder added toward the end of the boil.

My wife loves dark beer and asked what the abv was and I told her it should work out to about 5%. She splendidly asked if it could be increased which got me thinking - what about adding Kahlua to the secondary fermentation. Not the extract but the real thing. It would add a nice flavor. How much should I add to a 5 gallon batch? I was thinking about 10 oz. or so. Or should I add it at all?

i think this would be interesting.....you should experiment! at bottling would be when I would add it...add in a couple shots, stir sample, wait till its what you like. but remember, your not bottling it cold or carbonated, so this will affect the flavr.

could also just bottle it normally, and try adding a bit after you opened the bottle, to get an idea of how much works, and how much doesnt.

I was thinking of adding it at secondary but perhaps if I add it at primary it would ferment some of the sugars making for more abv. Not sure what it would do for the flavor.

The sugar itself isn't going to boost the abv much, I think its around 11g of sugar per ounce serving. You could maybe account for that at bottling by adding less priming sugar, but that could be potentially tricky if that 11g/oz of sugar isn't entirely fermentable.

If I wanted to add kalhua, I would likely add it to the secondary, wait a day or so for the sugars to ferment and take a sample, adding more as necessary. That or just add a bit after popping open each bottle when they are ready to drink.

Be careful with adding the kahlua at bottling. You will need to account for its sugar content.

I agree, be careful. I added amaretto to a stout before...in secondary. Nearly all of the amaretto flavor fermented out. There is still a slight hint but it is not as pronounced as I expected. Rather, the beer had a bit too harsh of an alcoholic bite to it. Many months later it has finally smoothed out.

If you are kegging it, I would suggest adding it to the keg.

I am most likely kegging this. I am supposed to pick up my keggerator in the next week or so.

I agree, be careful. I added amaretto to a stout before...in secondary. Nearly all of the amaretto flavor fermented out. There is still a slight hint but it is not as pronounced as I expected. Rather, the beer had a bit too harsh of an alcoholic bite to it. Many months later it has finally smoothed out.

If you are kegging it, I would suggest adding it to the keg.

How much amaretto did you add? I'm planning to make a Christmas ale and plan to do this, but I don't know how much I should expect to use. I don't want a very strong almond flavor--just a hint of it to compliment the hop character and spices.

Thanks!
Chris

Back