Adding insulation to a Beverage Air 3 door

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendavanza

Reaction score
Hi
I have a Beverage Air 3 door kegerator, and it's an older r12 unit. I am planning on checking the r12 soon, it keeps the beer cold enough but the thing runs most of the day. It takes some longer breaks at night. The problem is that it's on the back porch, and I live in TX. Insulating the towers on the outside has helped some, I used some windshield reflector material (foam surrounded by shiny silver stuff) to make a jacket for each tower, it has almost removed any sweating issues. I know the bottom outer plate of the unit is compromised because when I moved it, a lot of it fell out in my truck. It sits on my back deck. I planned on adding some R panel insulation on the inside of the box, to help it keep it's temps against the outside temp. Is this a worthwhile pursuit? I bought 2 4x8 foil lined foam panels, 3/4" thick and R value of 5. Once I got them home, I started wondering how this thing is assembled, where coolant is circulated, etc. I would not want to block where the cooling is coming from. One door seal is not the greatest, but I want to solicit some opinions about this before I go cutting up some panels for no reason. I have plenty of room in there so I'm not worried about that. Here's a pic of kegerator when I first got it home. The cooling coil is not visible on the inside, it's concealed.
The inside looks kind of like this one, with an all metal interior and a fan assembly on top http://www.micromatic.com/images/galleries/BM23/BM23-2_o_600x.jpg
any feedback appreciated-
IMG_0329.JPG

Wow you have a lot going on in your head. 1/2 to 1/4 inch pink board insulation would work if you put it all around the outside. Im sorry but Texas summers and that being outdoors you are screwed, unless you want to make that thing look like the pink panther.

I want to put the insulation on the inside, though and want to know if there's anywhere I should not put panels in, like if the coils run around the inside somewhere and I would be blocking radiant cooling. Or is the coil in an enclosed space that the fans circulate through?

i do believe that all the cooling comes from that fan unit. I don't think that there are coils or anything that run threw the walls

if your wanting to add the insulation inside you wont have to worry about anything. just make sure the fan isnt blocked. if there is no external fins then done try to insulate the outside since that is where the fridge cools itself.

btw these pull heat out not put cooling in. so you want good air flow inside so dont build chambers and you do not want to block the heat exhaust on the outside such as coils or panels if no coils are present.

Thanks for the tips! I'm looking fwd to the cooler months and I'm going to do some work on the hinges and seals. I have a r12 can promised to me and some 3/4" sheets of foil backed R5 panels to line the inside with so I should be able to get this thing running much more efficiently in the very near future. When in Mexico recently they had similar fridges (True brand) running outside all summer serving up cold beer. They were in and out of the doors frequently.
-Ben

Back